CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

News item from Nigreen papers, 24 June, 2014.

BOKO HARAM: INSURGENT ABDUCTS MORE WOMEN IN BORNO, KILLS 30.

Panic hits Borno state on Monday following reports of fresh attack on civilians in the villages of Kumanza, Yaga and Dagu, in Damboa local government Area. News abounds on the abduction of at least 91 persons in the raids.

Local vigilante confirmed the information, stating that four other villagers that attempted to escape were killed on the spot, Zaini, who spoke with news reporter also said, "more than sixty married women as well as children were forcefully taken away."

Other sources also claim fresh attack on Kummabza village in the same Damboa local government Area of Borno State between Thursday last week and Sunday. The said village was also destroyed. Presently, an estimate of about 600 women and girls are said to be held in Boko Haram camps outside Nigeria.

The secretary to the Damboa Council who was also interviewed told that he was not authorized to speak on the matter...

*****
From The Daily blog, 24 July, 2014.

BRING BACK OUR GIRLS: 102 DAYS, STIL ON OUR MINDS.
—Ambrose Jack
Today, 24th July, marks 102 days since the abduction of over 250 girls from Chibok, North East Nigeria. Since the horrible incidence, few girls had been able to escape while most are still in captivity. News abounds on the horrors of both sexual and physical abuse. Yet, the missing girls have not returned.

About 90 girls are said to have been abducted in June, and the number seems to increase with every news of Boko-Haram attack.

Vigils and protests are currently being held in some countries which include: Nigeria, Pakistan, Togo, The United Kingdom, Bangladesh, India, Canada, Portugal and the United States of America.

Pressure is high on the present Nigerian government even as the country looks forward to the next presidential election in the coming year. The low morale in the Nigerian military is no longer secret, nor the glaring corruption that plague this system, but we the concerned citizens of this country stand with the world and our demand is one, "Bring back our girls!"

*******
News article from Nigreen papers, 12 October, 2014.
ABDUCTED SCHOOL GIRLS FLEE BOKO HARAM AFTER 3-WEEK HIKE THROUGH THE JUNGLE.
By Veronica West.

Four of the about 200 Chibok school girls kidnapped by the military Islamic sect Boko-Haram in Cameroon have escaped, raising hope for the possibility of recovery of the girls still in the custody of the insurgence.

The free girls, who were between the age of 16 and18, escaped with the help of a prisoner who managed to get them out of the camp. One of the girls, Lucia Jibo, told the reporters that some of the remaining girls are in Boko Haram camps, nearest to the Madara mounts and far to the regions of Lake Chad where they were either married off or raped every day...

They also said that they have been told that if they return home, their families would be killed. The free girls, were guided by the setting sun back to civilization and were the only group of persons so far to have escaped the Boko Haram territories unhurt...

...nearly six month has passed since the abduction of over 200 girls from Chibok, North East Nigeria.

*******

Bello jumped off the truck, which roared to life moments later and moved on. He waved at one of the men in charge of machinery repairs, the man stoically held to a prayer bead and a kettle as he moved to where he'd perform ablution. He waved back at Bello with pure respect in his remarks. Bello slung his backpack over his shoulder and sighed, yet another successful delivery. In light of the new development, the terror could be felt anywhere in the camp, and for most of the stunts he pulled off, he was now some sort of super hero.