CHAPTER FIFTEEN

News item, Savannah Nation Enterprise, July 1, 2014.

BOKO HARAM HAS RELOCATED THE ABDUCTED CHIBOK SCHOOLGIRLS

—Ambrose Jack.

There had been reported sightings of the terrorist force, Boko Haram, along the Nigerian Cameroonian border. One of the witnesses who declined his identity told that some of the girls had been moved across the country, he added that some are in Chukungidiya in Marte Local Government Area of Borno state.

In the same vein, Senator Lucious Mahmud, representing Borno west Senatorial district in the national assembly said that the available information had proven that some if not all the girls has been moved across the Nigerian border. He told of many times when he would relate information about the location of the girls to the military and to his surprise, the girls would be moved again.

"There have been countless sightings of the Insurgence, in some place north western of Borno, but one witness that I was able to speak with told of how some of the girls were transported across lake Chad in boats." He also added that, "Some are of the insurgent presently inhabit the region around the Madara mounts where I believe that some of the girls may also be moved. And if the country fails to rise up against terrorism, these girls may never be found. If we keep looking around the vicinities of Chibok, we'll just be wasting our time."

Senator Audu Nyako seconded the motion adding that, "the condition of the military is as well pathetic, I spoke with a commanding officer who told me that their allowances have not been paid and that the equipment they were given were inadequate. He told of how an armoured tank broke down few weeks ago and had to be towed back to the barrack. Now, that doesn't sound good to me."

*******

There was no hope of having sunshine in its beauty for the evening. It had rained.

Each time he questioned the sanity of his reckless plan, the next thing to follow was the reminiscent of the call, then that resounding shot that killed Zuleihat.

The threat message kept coming, and that was when he got his teeth almost closing on gaining information that is capable of bringing the insurgence to their knees. The handlers said "No," and to impress their threat they paid him off just as they did the others, disband the Agency and finally killed Zuleihat when they still couldn't get him to submit. Bello became a fugitive.

Each time he wanted to back out (now that he's back in the game), he is faced with same nightmare: Zuleihat was always there calling on him, he could hear her voice but couldn't make out what she is saying. He could make out one thing though, she must be avenged and the closest thing to assassinating the 'wizards' behind the curtains of 'the Handlers' (whom no one knew) was fulfilling his purpose of getting back at the insurgence. Whatever the reason why the Handlers wanted the destruction to continue, he wasn't going to back down till late Zuleihat is avenged. And from the look of things, he may end up impressing the same force that now sought to arrest him.

Another rivulet dropped from the top of the chestnut tree, which gave him shelter from the drizzle, splashing on the photograph Bello was holding. His frigid hand swiped it away, before the moisture could sink in. He further dried it with the sleeve of his camo.

The young woman was smiling, deep dimples depressed on her cheeks, full lip spread in a toothy smile so warm it almost compensated for the rain and cold. Bello would miss her, and the place she had in his heart would always be there for the memory of the little time they had with each other.

He was lost in the moment only to be awakened to the sound of the crunching leaves, his companion approached. Bello quickly returned the picture to his pocket and resumed, cleaning his rifle with an oiled duster, his hand moved almost absentmindedly as the memories of his loss washed on him. The same threat that sent him out of the country, and now he returned, with a strange face that stared at him from the silver panel, and a name he sometimes forgets was his. Here he was, now in the sanctuary of the jungle with no intention of going back, with no one to go back to.