Beginning of the End

Summer 1995

A month has passed and all though Michael and I officially tied the knot, we weren't sleeping in the same bed. We barely saw each other and when we did, I would pretend I had something to do in order to avoid talking to him. It's nothing he did wrong, it's just I wasn't ready to discuss me venturing out on my own. Something I knew he greatly despised.

I walked into the living room expecting to have the house alone for the day, but Michael was stretched out asleep on the sofa. I immediately turned around and headed for the kitchen until he called out my name.

"Kennedy," He called out, his voice groggy.

"I hope I didn't wake you." I said, turning back around to face him.

"No not at all," He replied. "Come, sit."

Hesitantly, I proceeded to walk over to the couch and plopped down next to him. I looked down and fiddled with my fingers in order to avoid eye contact.

"I'm just gonna get straight to it," he began turning to face me. He grabbed my hands and began talking. "I support you. If this is what you want to do, then I'm here for you. Anything you want to know, I'll tell you. I'm not happy about it but you're good at your job and I can't stop you from doing what you want. All I can do is make sure you don't get hurt."

I looked up at him and I could see the sincerity in his eyes. For the first time in a while I felt like there was no hidden agenda. He was really all for me and I was relieved because I really wanted to talk to him. Not just about business but about everything. I missed him.

"You're serious?" I asked, still a little skeptical.

"As a heartbeat!" He smiled, pulling me closer to him. I laid my head on his chest and listened to his heartbeat as he ran his fingers through my hair. We stayed like this for a while until he broke the silence.

"Now that I've come to terms with this, can you puhleeeeaaaasssseeee come back to bed with me?!!!! He whined.

"Of course, I will!" I laughed, kissing his neck. "I missed you."

"I missed you, babygirl." He kissed the top of my head before relaxing his chin on it.

"So I know you have questions," He stated. "Ask them."

"Well," I thought for a moment. "How come you didn't tell me I we just a fill in for Janet until she was able to come back? Why didn't you just ask me to begin with? I would've said yes. I mean the worst thing I could've said was 'no'. Why didn't you mention your entire family was part of the mob scene? And was that really a threat you gave me last we talked? 'Cause it sure as hell felt like it. And-"

"Okay, okay!!!" He cut me off, laughing. "Can you give me time to answer them please!"

"Go on."

"Okay well," He started to explain. "You weren't necessarily a "fill in". You wanted the job so I gave it to you. Janet returning to the scene wouldn't have changed your position. At all. I didn't want to ask you because at the time, I didn't know how you felt about Me being involved in this." He paused for a moment looking off to the patio. I followed his gaze and saw Joseph and Katherine walking hand in hand along the poolside.

"They're a beautiful couple and I absolutely adore them." I breathed, admiring them. I heard Michael let out a sigh.

"I didn't tell you about them because I felt like it didn't matter. Plus they don't come out as much unless I really need them too." He answered, still looking at his parents. "It wasn't meant to be a threat. I just wanted to scare you enough to make you change your mind. I just- I lost my baby girl and I don't want to lose you next. I vowed to keep you safe and I let you down once. I won't let you down again."