twenty-nine

"To get on this team... you have to bleed hockey!"

Ethan and Benny found themselves bouncing their legs on the rink benches, with hockey sticks in their hands and giant metal cages strapped around their faces. They were trying out for the Whitechapel Devils Hockey Team, only to introduce an ounce of normalcy back into their lives.

"We play for one reason: to win... and to have fun," the hockey team's coach, Coach Steiner said to the guys trying out for the team.

"We shouldn't be here," Ethan whispered to Benny.
"Dude, there are two ways to get back to normal fast: form a band or join a sports team," Benny explained, jumping when a player flew by them on the rink. "And since your oboe lessons have really paid out, this is all we've got. Besides, you're awesome at hockey."

"Awesome at watching hockey," Ethan corrected. "The closest I've ever come to playing was Super-Puckzoid VI!"

The two watched as one of the best players on their team shoved other players into the boards. "As long as that guy is on our team, who gives a shit how bad we are?"

"Bolts?" Ethan looked at Benny like he was crazy. "I've never heard that guy speak one word on the ice. He just grunts and punches people for no reason."

"Isn't that what hockey players normally do?"
"If Gordie Howe was in here right now, B, you would have a Bauer stick stuck up your ass at this very second."

"Alright, who's next?" As soon as the coach announced that, the rest of the guys who were planning to try out scurried off the bench and out of the rink. Everyone was so scared of being crushed by Bolts that the only people that were left were all the upperclassmen players... and Ethan and Benny.

"Well, if you're still here and haven't sustained a major injury yet, then congratulations! You made the team!" Principal Hicks told the rest of them.

"...Yay."

------------

"Ellie, something major happened."

As soon as she turned around from her locker, she saw what Ethan and Benny were talking about. They stood there smiling with two giant grins on their faces, holding their school hockey team jersey in their hands. "Say hello to the new Whitechapel High Hockey Team players."

"You mean the bench-warmers?" she teased, holding up one of their jerseys in her hand. "In all honesty, I did not expect to see you two come back with these."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Benny questioned.

"That means I know for a fact that you both suck at hockey," Ellie chuckled. "I barely understand why Ethan's doing it, and how the hell did you two pull this off?"

"Let's just say we're... temporary water boys," Ethan guessed, flashing a cheesy smile at her. "Look, everyone who wanted to try out for the team was too scared by Bolts and walked out."

"And since we are both extremely strong men who aren't afraid of anything, we are the only ones who stayed and decided to do it," Benny smirked.

"Not afraid of anything?" Ellie repeated. "What's on your shoulder?"

"What?" Benny turned his head slightly and was terrified to find a giant purple spider on his shoulder. He screamed like a pig and tried to swat at it, not even noticing Ellie's hand glowing purple as she made the projection appear on his shoulder.

------------

"Guys, you missed when I totally ollied in that puck and shot it straight into the goal yesterday," Benny said to Ethan and Ellie, trying to make his presence on the hockey team known to the surrounding students in the lunch line.

"Dude, you haven't even touched the ice yet," Ethan stopped him. "And I'm pretty sure that 'ollie' is a skateboarding term."

"Who cares?" Benny laughed. "Let's mouth this jock thing while we can."

"Wish you wouldn't," Ellie commented as she paid for her lunch.

"You wanna go sit with Bolts?" Benny pointed to where Bolts was sitting with two other senior jocks. "And have my entire ass handed to me? I'll pass."

"Your entire ass?" Benny questioned at Ethan. "I'd say like quarter ass. Barely half ass, at most."

"Stop with whatever bullshit jock thing you're trying to do, because it sucks and I don't wanna listen to it anymore," Ellie groaned, picking up her tray and making her way to the tables.

Once Ethan and Benny got their food, they waltzed up to Bolts' table and looked at two upperclassmen who were already sitting there. Benny sat his tray right beside of one guy and stared at him in confusion.

"So, guys, why weren't you at practise today?" he questioned. He faked a realisation and a sigh, "Oh, that's right... you're not on the team! This area's for players only, so scooch it."

The guys groaned and stood from their chairs, with Ethan being completely blown away by Benny's performance. "That was awesome."

"So, Bolts, right?" Benny began, looking up to see nothing but a hockey helmet. "You were really killer on that rink today."

"Yeah, those were some sweet..." Ethan's addition was halted by a strange thing he picked up on. He looked at both of Bolts' hands, and both of them were almost completely different. "...Hands? I-I mean, that slapshot was awesome."

Ellie was sat down at her table with Sarah, and Sarah noticed how she just kept staring back at Ethan and Benny's table. "Whatchya doin', El?"

"Confusing myself," Ellie exhaled. "It's almost like they're trying to be idiots."

"Why are they dressed like hockey players? It's not Halloween yet," Sarah asked her.

"They actually made the hockey team," she explained. "Wait, let me correct myself: they were the only two left who wanted to try out and Hicks just let them in. They haven't even touched the ice yet."

"Makes sense." Sarah's eyes lingered on the table and she saw from the other side of the cafeteria a couple of girls smiling and waving at Ethan and Benny. Apparently, Ellie saw it, too, and she just got up out of her seat and made her way to their table.

"Hey, B," she smiled, leaning over Benny and wrapping her arms around his shoulders. The next time she looked over to the weird hockey girls, they were scoffing in disgust, and Ellie was proud of herself.

——————

"Hey, girl," Erica greeted, slamming Ellie's locker in her face. "How's it going?"

"Well, I was going to look for my calculus book, which is in the locker you just destroyed," she replied, entering in her combination again.

"So, who's the new hunk?" Erica smirked. Ellie followed to where she was pointing, and her finger ended up on Bolts. "You mean Bolts?"

"Yeah, he's really hot," she exclaimed.

"Okay, wait, how is he hot? You haven't even seen him without his mask on," Ellie said. "He also smells like a million different body parts; rotting ones. He's on the hockey team with Ethan and Benny."

"Your nerd plow turned into jocks?" Erica questioned. "I mean, I've seen jocks be dorky, but I've never seen dorks become jocks."

"Learn to live, and live to learn, I guess," Ellie stated, grabbing a bunch of books out of her locker.

"So, are you going to introduce me to Bolts or not?"

"Not."