fifteen

"How is this gonna work?"

Standing in the middle of Ms. Weir's living room, Jane giddied up and down at the thought of finally using her psychic powers on purpose. Benny and Ellie stood beside the heavily decorated fireplace, along with Sarah at Ethan's side to accompany the retired earth priestess.

"Your brother is going to explain it to you, dear," Ms. Weir told the 11-year-old.

"Alright, so this is what we did," Ethan began to his little sister, crouching down to her level. "You see that vase over there?" 
The seer pointed to the fireplace that his mage friends were stood beside, gesturing to an ancient dusty vase that had almost no value to a young person.
"Benny and Ellie put a spell on it that triggers your visions."

"We put a movie into a flower pot for you," Benny grinned. 
"When you touch it," Ethan continued to his little sister. "You'll get a vision."

"Sounds boring. Let's do it!" Jane bounced.
Taking an excited deep breath, the little sister to the group lifted her hand to the vase atop of the fireplace and grasped it, feeling the whites of her eyes consume her sight.

"What did you two put in there anyway?" Sarah curiously asked the mages.
"Nothing, really," Ellie shrugged. "I put in a pool noodle floating in some water and I don't even remember what Benny put—!"

"—AHHHH!"
A sudden scream stopped whatever Ellie was going to say, stomping on the attention of everyone's thoughts as Jane was flung out of her vision. 
The young girl backed away from the fireplace, taking a long hard stare at Benny and Ellie. Her eyes widened in fright as she couldn't stop hyperventilating. 

"Jane! What happened? You okay?"
Ethan took her little sister into his arms, wiping Jane's tears off her cheeks with his shirt sleeve. 
"T-That guy was there again," Jane hiccupped. "H-He yelled at me..."

Ethan's face dropped, unable to swallow his anger. He turned his attention to his mage friends, irate that they would do such a thing to his baby sister.
Benny and Ellie just stared in disbelief, more confused than ever.

"It's alright, Jane. I'll take you home," Sarah said, taking the liberty of caring for her. The vampire shot a look to the mages, concerned for the girl and for her friends.
As soon as Sarah and Jane walked out the front door, Ethan wasted no time to begin his tirade at Benny and Ellie.

"You two put an image of Stern in there?!"
"Ethan, I swear," Ellie began, putting her hands up in defense. "We didn't—!"

"—How could you two just do that?!"
Ethan started to lose it. 

"Ethan, we didn't—!"
"—That's my sister!"
"Ethan, just listen—!"
"—I thought you two cared about her!"

"ETHAN!"
Benny finally yelled over top of him, losing his cool. "...We didn't do anything."

"Like I'm supposed to believe that," he spat.
He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Those two literally traumatized his sister once more to get her reaction? Ethan was fuming.
The seer started to stomp into the foyer to go out the door, ignoring Benny and Ellie's pleads to come back.

"Ethan, would you just listen to us?"
"Dude, seriously!"
The door slammed shut with Ethan's rage, causing him to go deaf.

The bewildered sound of silence consumed the two mages as they were left to stand in Ms. Weir's living room, forgetting that the retired earth priestess was there all along.
"Thanks for you help, Grandma," Benny groaned.

"What did you two put in the vase?" she asked the kids.

"Nothing crazy like Stern!" Ellie defended. "I put in a noodle floating in a kiddie pool, and Benny put in... wait, what did you put?"
"The 'Friends' intro!" Benny said. "Maybe, she got scared by the four claps that they do at the beginning."