It doesn't matter. The fact is, I am human and he is not. This shouldn't even be something I'm questioning. The answer must be no. I get to my feet and open the door a crack to peer inside the dimly lit room, where I find the merman swimming laps and emitting vicious growls that echo throughout the cave. The sight makes me frown.

'I should give him space.' I close the door and wipe my eyes a final time before walking away to find some dry clothes to change into. It's a good thing I brought in a few spares just in case I stay the night here, like I have been doing more recently. I planned to leave, but then, I worried if that would only anger the fish more. I did promise him I'd stay tonight, but at the same time, I don't think he wants that to happen anymore.

I think, for now, it's best to just leave him alone so that he can calm down.

__________________________
Neil's POV:
__________________________

After exhausting myself, I finally settle down by edge of the pool and heave a groan of pain as I grip the ledge. I try my best to lean my weight on it comfortably, so that I don't have to move as much, and release sad whimpers as my eyes pin to the closed door.

'Why would she say no? Did I do something wrong? Was there something else I was supposed to do?' I send a sharp glare towards the fish swimming close to my tail, but don't go after it like I normally would. My body's too stiff, and besides, I don't want it. I'm not hungry; in fact I feel sick just looking at it. I wait and I wait, but Y/N doesn't come back in, which makes me sad.

'I guess she isn't staying tonight after all.' Whimpering, I slip back into the water, full of disappointment. I crawl along the sandy floor to the deepest end of my territory and burry myself in the soft minerals to make myself comfortable, thankfully being left unbothered by the prey in my nest. I would often do this in the big waters, where I lived. There was something so comforting about the sand and how it feels against my scales and slips through my hands. The fact that it was Y/N who brought me some for my nest made my heart throb, since it was her gift to me. I did not mind the rocky floor in the past, but I enjoy the sand so much more.

'Surely, there must be something I can do to convince her. Oh, I know! I can try to ask her to explain human mating rituals. F/N never taught me anything about that.' Though, I suppose it wasn't important until now.

'It must be something different, and that's why she refused. Oh, my, I hope I didn't insult her somehow. No, I don't think I did, but that reaction...' I whimper and push it to the back of my brain. I didn't like that look she made. She seemed so sad, scared even.

'Did I scare her? Is that why she ran away? I suppose I was upset. I just couldn't help but react that way. I hope she'll come back soon.' Determined, I spend the whole night practicing speaking, like I have been. I have to ask her; I just have to!

I'm still very unskilled and sound badly, but I'm sure I can manage my question.

________________________________
Your POV:
________________________________

The next morning, I came back to the house where Neil is kept, even though I felt uncomfortable doing so. I can't just abandon him there. He requires my care. When I enter the pool area, I unexpectedly find him waiting by the edge of the pool, staring at the door while hiding the lower half of his face behind the ledge, so that all that shows is his hair and large eyes. I shut the door behind me and take a deep breath as I come forth, noting that the fish from yesterday is still there, swimming around without a care. I stare at my aquatic friend in concern as I crouch down in front of him, and he looks up at me. His tail had lost more scales. His condition must be getting worse.