Chapter 21

Clack. Clack. Clack.

A lonely, hollow sound echoing down the empty hallway. Steady and persistent as breathing, it replayed in Delta's ears even as she slept.

Somebody had finally given poor Brook a cane, and, from that moment onward, she had to be practically forced into her room at night. Through the entire day she wandered the halls of the palace, desperate map to it out in her mind as quickly as possible. She insisted on being able to walk around on her own, so she practiced every day, exploring now unfamiliar palace.

But never alone.

She refused to go alone.

Yet she also refused to be guided, so Delta followed her at a distance, rarely stepping forward to help. Brook detested help.

"Um..."

Brook stood at a crossroads of four hallways, head turning about. She had already explored her options and was standing in the center, frowning. Delta's fingers twitched; she should help. She took a few hesitant steps forward and placed and a gentle hand on Brook's shoulder.

"No!" Brook whipped around, swinging at Delta with the cane.

Delta jumped back and avoided the blow. Brook, off-balance, stumbled forward, throwing her arms in front of her. Delta slid in and caught Brook, only staying close long enough to make sure Brook was stable. After, she stepped back, out of Brook's reach.

"Are you okay?" asked Delta, heart aching. This wasn't the first time, Brook's reponses to help were becoming more and more fierce each day. Brook apologized for every incident, but experiencing it over and over again was painful. In Delta's mind, it wasn't Brook dismissing help--it was Brook dismissing her. But could that be the case?

"F-fine." Brook righted herself and, with quick, brisk movements, pushed her hair out her her face. Even though the bandages still covered most of her face, her mouth was plenty expressive. It was pulled tight, edges curling downward. "I...I'm sorry, Delta.

"It's fine." To her horror, the words came out stiffly.

"I'm so sorry," repeated Brook, voice firmer.

Delta wrapped her arms around herself, stomach turning. "Brook," she murmured, "if you want someone else to--"

"No!" cried Brook. "Delta--it's not you. I swear. I'm just--" She fiddled with the cane, passing it from hand to hand. "It's kind of frustrating."

Delta stepped forward, not especially assured. "Don't worry. Be patient. You couldn't find your way through the palace before, so of course you're lost now."

Brook laughed softly. "Yes, I suppose that's true." A pause, then, "Could you help?"

A bit more at ease, Delta nodded, though the gesture was wasted. She placed her hands on Brook's shoulders and turned her in the right direction. "This way."

"Thank you." Brook frowneed determinedly and set off at an impressive pace and surprising confidence. Delta followed a few paces after, smiling slightly. At this pace, Brook could navigate the castle by herself. Between Delta and the guards, though, the chances of that were quite slim. And Brook quailed at the mere suggestion of going alone.

"Princess Brook!"

Both Delta and Brook flinched, whipping around to see who had called them. Delta dropped into a shallow bow.

"King Saros," she spoke loudly, for Brook to hear.

Saros strode down the hall, grinning. "I was looking for you two."