Second Chance

Mitch decided to sleep in, as far as that was possible, which it wasn't. Finally, the tiredness had completely overwhelmed him and he was ready to fall asleep and forget about everything at least for a moment, until somebody burst into his room and ran into the adjoined bathroom to throw up. And despite everything that had happened, even though Mitch pretty much hated Scott at the moment, he wasn't enough of an asshole to leave him to himself right now. So he gathered all his remaining strength and forced himself to get up and go to Scott.

"Mitchy-" Scott panted, not even looking up. "I'm sorry. Go back to sleep."

"No, Scott. Let me get you a glass of water."

Mitch actually wanted to let him know how pissed he was but when he saw him so weak and miserable he decided it was for the best to postpone that until later. So for now, he went into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of tap water and brought it to Scott for him to drink.

"Better?" He ran his fingers through Scott's sweaty hair. He nodded.

"A little. How much did I drink last night?"

"I don't know?" He shrugged.

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"I wasn't there, Scott. I don't know how much you or your boyfriend had." Now he was pissy again. "Maybe your boyfriend filled you up to, you know, get you laid. I don't fucking know, Scott. I'm not your handyman."

"Boyfriend?" Scott chuckled humorlessly. "What are you even talking about?"

"So you're trying to tell me you completely forgot about Max while I couldn't sleep because-" the man I thought I loved was fucking someone else? But he couldn't say that, not to Scott. So he just huffed and helplessly threw his hands up. "You fucked him. And then you basically told me I'm worthless. So yeah, great job. Thank you for nothing."

"I did what? No, Mitchy, there's no way-"

"Just stop calling me Mitchy, will you? Oh and make sure to call Max to tell him how much you loved it. You were screaming."

"Oh god." He hid his face in his hands. "I fucked Max. Fuck."

"Yeah. Fuck."

He stood up and hurried out of the bathroom. "I gotta tell him I'm sorry and that it didn't mean anything. God, I'm so stupid."

Mitch decidedly didn't tell him how he said he couldn't wait for him forever. Even just thinking about it hurt. And Mitch didn't want to think about that anymore. Maybe at some point he'd mention it.

"Hey! Yeah, it's me, Scott. I, um... About last night- yeah? I can't. I'm sorry. It's never just talking, Max, and you know that. We have... History. It's not healthy, for both of us... You what? I... No, Max, no. Mitch? No, it's not about Mitch- I know that the media is all over us, fuck, of course I know. Yeah? I... I'm not sure. Just once, okay? Alright. See you. Bye."

Mitch didn't mean to listen to the phone call, but he just couldn't help himself. His heart sank when he realized what this meant. Max wasn't an ex, not someone the public knew of, at least. He was... Something. And he definitely meant something to Scott, Mitch could tell right away just from the way he talked to him on the phone.

"Mitch? I'm sorry... I'm meeting up with Max this afternoon for lunch to... Talk. I wanna be honest with you... I don't want to be with him. He wants me back. We dated for a few months two years ago. I hope he doesn't make a move on me, but I can't promise that."

"Why did you even agree on that?" Mitch wanted to know. If Scott didn't want him back, then why give him the chance to win him over?

"I don't know." Scott bit his lip. "I guess I'm not good at saying no. But I want you to know... Whatever I said to you last night... I'm sorry. I didn't mean any of it. You're still my number one." He gave him a weak smile but it didn't work on Mitch. "I'll wait for you."

"Stop saying that."

"What?" He raised his eyebrows.

"That you'll wait for me. It's bullshit. You told me you couldn't wait forever. I- I wanna be with you, Scott." Mitch broke down into tears now. He remembered all of it, and he remembered his regret of not saying these words earlier. If he wasn't completely sleep deprived, he probably wouldn't have said anything but now he didn't have the energy to think about the consequences. "I'm not ready but I know I want it. I'm scared to commit and break your heart. But I know that you mean everything to me and that I-" I'm falling for you. But instead of saying those words he sobbed. "That I don't want you to be with anyone that's not me. And I know that's selfish but-" another sob escaped his mouth. "Never mind. You can choose whoever you see. And if you choose Max," he sniffled, "then I won't be a burden."

"I'll always choose you, Mitch. But I'm going out with Max tonight, I wanna hear him out. Be fair to him, too."

"Alright." He nodded. I hate this.

"I'm sorry for everything, Mitchy. I... Love you."

"Love you, too."

"I would... I would kiss you but..." He gestured towards the bathroom and made a face, making him chuckle through his tears.

"We'll save that for later."

Instead, he gave him a kiss on the cheek, giving him hope that maybe, he will choose him eventually.