New Home

"Scott? We're here, where are you?"

Mitch can only make out a muffled voice from Esther's phone, but he does get four words.

"I'm on my way!"

Mitch's mind immediately wanders to Scott's most famous hit, On My Way Home, but he forces himself not to burst into a song in a recording studio that he does not belong in. That would make him look unprofessional first of all, and secondly, he would completely destroy the idea that he's not a fangirl. He's a fangirl in disguise, how about that?

And there he is, the most beautiful man alive. Famous, rich, talented. Scott Hoying. He's wearing fancy clothes, not too fancy for working in an office but too fancy for an everyday look. He still has his phone in his hand, obviously in a hurry. Mitch licks his lips as his eyes focus on the pearls of sweat on the man's forehead, he feels sorry, it's a particularly warm day. Then the most gorgeous blue eyes find his brown ones and a small smile spreads on his face. He extends his hand.

"Hi, I'm Scott. Nice to meet you."

"It's a pleasure," Mitch says, his cheeks tinting pink while he shakes Scott Hoying's hand. "I'm Mitch."

"So, Mitch..." He smiles. A smile, directed at Mitch! He could die. "Esther told you about the deal?"

"Yes." He nods. "She told me."

"So... You're okay with it? I really don't want you to be uncomfortable. This is a big thing to me and... You probably already got that you gotta make a lot of sacrifices. You'll be stuck with me."

"That's fine!" Mitch says, maybe a little too quickly and excitedly. "Really, I- I don't mind at all. I'm open for new things."

"Great, that's perfect. So, I just got out of an interview, now-" he checks his watch, "I gotta head to another one. But I have one and a half hours, so... we could hang out? Just to get to know each other better, to... break some ice."

"Oh, sure!" Mitch's face lights up as soon as he hears it. "I'd love to!"

"Okay, let's go... Home?"

"O-okay?"

Calm down, Mitch. Don't freak out.

"The crew will get your bags from the hotel you stayed in, the hotel's on me, everything's paid, don't worry about that."

"Wow... I'm not used to that service."

"Well," Scott chuckles charmingly, opening the door for Mitch to exit the building. "You better get used to it."

Once they're outside, Scott casually leans over to Mitch.

"Mind if I hold your hand? I know we don't know each other but... The sooner the better I guess?"

Is... Scott Hoying... Insecure?

"No, I don't mind at all." Mitch blushes. Oh fuck, he's in for a wild ride.

Scott's warm fingers intertwine with his own, making his heart race. Is the way he's holding his hand okay? Are his palms sweating too much? Is Scott uncomfortable? Can he feel how nervous he is?

"Excuse me?"

A young blonde girl, around fifteen, appears from around the corner, covering her mouth with one hand in disbelief.

"Scott Hoying?"

Scott gives her a friendly smile. He makes sure to squeeze Mitch's hand, holding it a second longer than necessary before letting go of it.

"Hi, how are you? Nice to meet you."

"I'm great, how are you?" She screams a little too loudly.

"I'm good, thanks."

"Could- I mean, can I take a pic? Very quickly, if that's okay, I-"

"Of course." Scott chuckles softly. She's so nervous, poor thing. She pulls out her phone that looks enormous in her small hand, poses with Scott and takes a quick selfie. When she's done, she hugs Scott but immediately pulls back when she notices how he tensed.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I should've asked! Oh my god."

"Don't worry, everything's fine." That smile is still on Scott's face. "It was nice meeting you, but we really have to go now, sorry."

"That's fine!" She says, scanning Mitch. He can tell she's thinking about if she's ever seen him before. Then her attention turns back to Scott. "Thank you so much! I'm your biggest fan! Also, hi!"

That hi was to Mitch! A fan said hi!

"Hi!" Mitch replies with a smile not nearly as gorgeous as Scott's, or so he thinks.

Scott's hands intertwine with Mitch's again as he pulls him towards a car. They hear the girl scream as she thinks they're gone but they still hear it and laugh.

"So, that was Sarah," Scott says. "She's come to meet and greet several times and she spams me on twitter all the time. Which is really nice, yeah."

"Oh no." Mitch notices the tension in his voice. "What is it like, I mean, being famous? Having people all over social media wanting to talk to you?"

Mitch would die if he knew who he was.

"Well, it's pretty amazing, for sure. It gets overwhelming sometimes, but it's a great thing. Just to know how much a like on Twitter can mean to some people is insane."

"Oh yeah, I get that."

"Well... Can I ask a few questions about you?" Scott says, starting the engine of his brand new G-Wagon. Mitch nods.

"Sure, go ahead."

"How come you applied for this job? Not knowing what it was, you know?"

"Oh." Because I stan you and I wanted to meet you. "My boss asked me to apply, and I didn't see why not, to be honest."

"So you just... Jumped in on the adventure, just to see how it goes?"

"Kind of." Mitch shrugs.

"You know, that's what I find so fascinating about people. How they can just get into something without knowing what to expect."

"Well, I knew that you're a great artist." He blushes. "But can I ask why I wasn't allowed to know until the very last moment?"

"Yeah." Scott clears his throat. "It's uh- safety, I guess. We have to be sure no one knows about this deal, and that you- uh... You're my fake boyfriend, and you're being paid and stuff. We didn't want anyone to get the wrong end of the stick."

"Oh, yeah, got it." This actually makes a lot of sense.

"Okay, we're home."