Chapter 1

Setting the scene: The story left off in August. Maya had graduated and then in the end of July got an amazing job offer that she could ever dreamed of. So this is SIX (school) YEARS after that moment.

I walk through the airport waiting for Jose to appear out of nowhere. I was excited to meet his two kids and to see his wife again. I remember the wedding and it was beautiful.

My mind drifts to my husband. Who I haven't talked to in six years. We were so young and naive. But I still love him and my heart races just thinking about him. My skin goes red, but I knew he probably had a new girlfriend. Maybe even a fiancé.

I wouldn't be surprised, he is a very attractive man.

That was once mine...

"Maya!" Jose's familiar voice snaps me out of my daze and I see his tan skin that had a bright white smile along with it. His black curly hair gelled close to his head. He quickly scoops me into a hug and gives my forehead a gentle kiss.

"Come on, let's go get your bag. The kids are excited to meet you," Jose says putting his arm around my shoulder. I lean into him enjoying the familiar warmth his body let off. When his cologne hit my nose it took everything in me to not cry.

I missed home.

We walk into the door and Jose's wife runs towards me, "Maya!"

"Hola, Leila," I say holding her back.

She pulls back and looks me over, "You've lost a lot of weight over there in Europe. It's okay I have tortillas ready that way we can fatten you up again." Her long black hair was cut short and her skin along with her eyes were glowing with complete happiness.

She looked like if she explode she could be the sun or a million stars. And I was jealous because she was achieving such great happiness all at the age of twenty eight. While I felt like I was miserable.

She turns around and yells, "Carlos! Wendy!" Two kids come running in and stop at the sight of me. I get onto my knees that way I could be face to face with the five and three year old.

"Guys, this is your Aunt Maya. She just got back home from a great adventure of a lifetime. Say hello and welcome," Jose says kneeling down beside me. They walk shyly towards me not making eye contact but they were still looking at me.

"Welcome home, Tia," Carlos says. I smile and lean forward.

"Thank you, how about I meet you two into the kitchen because I have. Presents!" Their eyes widen and they immediately start running into the kitchen.

Carlos looked so much like Leila while Wendy was a lot like Jose. They both had beautiful black hair, but Wendy got her father's curly hair which he thinks is a curse in the family.

Jose looks over at me, "You got them presents?"

I nod my head, "I got you guys one too!"

He smiles and gives me a huge hug, "I've missed you so much. You can help with the monsters- I mean the kids."

I laugh and walk into the kitchen to find the two patiently waiting. I take off my backpack and find the few toys I got them, "Alright. I got Carlos a shirt and then Wendy now has what I think is the cutest dress ever. Jose I got you a shirt from the coolest ski mountain ever and I got Leila a new hat because these are so warm and you will love it during the winter. But now the moment you all have been waiting for. Toys!" The two squeal as I give them their toys and automatically said thank you.

Carlos and Wendy finally started to warm up to me and were showing me some of their things. Much to their parents horror they were going all the way to their room and dragging stuff all the way into the living room.