Chapter Thirteen//Empty

As I'm sitting in the waiting room, shaking my leg due to a nervous habit I have. I look over and see Andrew walking my way, I stand up and wipe away the tears on my cheeks as he approaches me. "He made it through surgery, the bullet just barley dodged his lung." he tell me, I nod and let out a sigh of relief. Thank God he's okay, with all that's happening in my life, I couldn't loose Jackson. 

I follow Andrew to the room Jackson is in and walk in as he holds the door for me, "Thank you" I say softly to him, he nodded and walked out the room, shutting the door behind him. I walked over to Jackson and stood by his bed, I placed my hand on top of his and looked down at him. I let a few tears escape my eyes, letting them fall down my face. I couldn't help but cry as he laid in the bed. I sat down in the chair that was by the bed, not letting go of his hand, I laid my head back and shut me eyes to calm my nerves. 

"He's okay." I say to myself, quietly. "I'm okay." I hear Jackson say, I quickly open my eyes and sit up looking at him smiling. "Hey" I say to him, placing my hand on his cheek, "Doesn't matter what we do, we always end up in the hospital on out days off" Jackson tells me, smiling, chuckling lightly. I smile and shake my head "It's okay, I'm still with you and I'll be right here until you get to go home" I tell him. He shakes his head "You need to work Ashley." he tells me. I sigh and nod "I know, but I promise you I'll sleep in this room with you no matter if I'm on call or not." I tell him, he nodded his head. 

"Meredith told me the cops caught the guy that shot me." Jackson tells me, "Good." I tell him, "You can't just go around shooting people because they don't give you what you want.",  Jackson nodded "Yeah" he says. "I'm glad you're okay though." I tell him, smiling. He smiled back at me and placed one of his hands on my cheek, "Me too" he says to me. I lean down and kiss him softly on his lips, pulling back "I love you" I say to him, he smiles back at me and says "I love you too". 

I felt good to say those three words to Jackson. I've always loved him, and I know I always will. I hate to say it but, when you witness someone you care about get shot and survive, it makes you care about them even more then you did before, I don't know, maybe it's just me. I looked over at Jackson and see he was asleep, I knew he was sleeping because, well, he's hooked up to a heart monitor and his heart rate is steady. I stood up and walked into the bathroom of the hospital room and looked in the mirror, I pulled my hair up into a bun and wrapped the hair-bow I had on my wrist around it to hold it in place. I then opened the side cabinet that's by the shower and grabbed a white rag, I wet it and put some soap on it and began to wash my face. After I was done I pat it dry with a different rag and walked back into the room, seeing Meredith. 

She looked over at me and smiled "Hey" she said, I smiled back at her and said "Hey", she looked through Jackson's chart and then asked "Are you gonna be back at work tomorrow?" I nodded "Yeah, Jackson said that I needed to." I tell her, she nodded "Are you two a thing now or what's that about?" She looked over at me after she signed something on his chart and smiled. I shrugged and smiled "I don't know, I mean, we love each other, we always have and most likely always will." I explain to her "Well, I wish you two the best" she tells me, I smile and say "Thanks you." she nodded " I'll see tomorrow." she told me as she walked out the room, shutting the door. 

I smiled and sat back down in the chair by the hospital bed Jackson is laying in. I turn my head and look at him. He looks peaceful, yeah I know he just got shot but, he doesn't look like he's in any pain. I tried my best to get comfortable in the chair, pulling the thin hospital blanket close to me. I shut my eyes and slowly fell asleep.