Chapter One//First Blood

I look in the mirror and take a deep breath, "first day" I say to myself "nothing to worry about" I grab my purse and walk downstairs. I grab my car keys from the small table I have in front of my door and I walk out to my car and get in, driving to work.

I turn on the radio and listen to what's going on in the world, I usually don't like hearing what's going on in the world but when you're working in a hospital, it's kinda hard to ignore it. I arrive at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital about ten minutes, i find a parking spot get out of my car and walk inside.

I walk up the stairs and down a long hallways to the locker room finding all the other attending's, "hey look, it's the new girl" an older woman with short blondish brownish curly hair said. I smiles "that's me" I said, walking to my locker, putting my purse in it and grabbing a white coat, slipping it on "my name is Ashley Banks, i'm the new head of plastic surgery" I announce, looking at her. she smiled, "I'm Meredith Grey, head of general surgery" she held her hand out, I smiled back at her and shook her hand.

I walk out the locker room and to the surgery board, I find my name and look at who will be assisting me with the surgery. "Jackson Avery?" I say to myself "That name sounds so familiar.." I keep looking at the name, hoping that eventually it'll hit me why that name sounds so familiar. "Ashley?" I turn around to the direction I hear my name being called. That's him, that's why the name sounded so familiar..that's Jackson. As in the Jackson I dated from sixth grade all the way until we graduated from high school.

We broke up a few weeks after graduation due to us both getting into different colleges. Yeah I know, we could've done the whole long distance thing but it wouldn't have lasted long. Going to a Medical College to study plastic surgery takes away all your free time. You don't get to go out and party and the weekends or hang out with anyone but your textbooks and a bedside light. So yeah, the whole long distance thing wasn't gonna work.

I noticed Jackson walking closer to me, he had a look of confusion on his face. Kinda like he didn't understand why I was here. "What are you doing here?" He asks me, "I, um, well I kinda work here now. I'm the new attending for plastics." I say with a smile forming across my face. Jackson nodded slightly "well, I guess who should go and find your interns. There waiting for you in there locker room." He tells him, brushing past me. What the hell was that about? I shake my head and walk towards the interns locker room and walk in, seeing a group of young and fresh out-of-college student's. "I guess you five are mine." I say to them. I open the door and let them exit the room first, I follow behind them.

I give orders to four of the five of the interns. I look at the fifth one, he has black curly hair and fair skin. "you" I say to him, he jumps slightly and stands straight up, clearing his throat before he responds to me "Yes ma'am?" he says back to me. "What's your name?" I asked him "Andrew. Andrew Jones." I nodded "Well, Jones, how would you like to observe me and Dr. Avery on a rhinoplasty?" I asked him. I seen a smile form across his face. I smiled back to him and walked with him to the scrub room. "You know how to scrub in for a surgery, right?" I asked him, not taking my attention away from scrubbing my hands. "Um, yeah." he says back to me. After Andrew and I finished scrubbing in, a couple scrub nurses helped dress Andrew and I for surgery.

By the time both of us was in the operating room. Jackson walks in to scrub in. I look through the glass seeing him. We both make eye contact with each other. I looked back down at the patient and made the first cut. I seen the blood slowly start to run out. "First Blood" I hear Andrew say. I nodded "You're not gonna pass out are you?" I ask him, not taking my eyes off the patient. I see him shake his head out of my peripherals "No, of course not" I hear him say. I nodded as Jackson walked in "This is the rhinoplasty?" he asks as he picks up a surgical instrument. "If you don't know what surgery you just walked in maybe you shouldn't be assisting me on it" I say back to him. I can feel both him and Andrew staring at me. Jackson doesn't respond to me, I can sense that he's pissed off at me.

After the surgery was done I let Andrew go and get cleaned up before I did. "What was that smart remark for once I walked in here" Jackson asked me. I turn and looked at him "I don't know. Why'd you brush past me the way you did?" I say back to him, while take my gloves off. I hear him sigh "Still the same over dramatic Ashley, huh?" he says back to me. "You know what Jackson? I came here for a job. Not to get treating like a piece of gum on your shoe" I say to him, walking into the scrub room, taking my mask of, putting it in the trash.

"I never even said you came back for me" I hear Jackson as he walks in behind me. "I know Jackson, I'm just letting you know before hand. I came here for a Job. Not you." I say back to him taking my scrub apron, putting it the a bin with other used aprons and washes my hands. When I'm done I walk out and down the hall. I walk into an on-call room and sit down on one of the beds and put my head in my hands and sigh. I don't know how to act around him and I hate that. I hate admitting that I still love him...