Chapter 9 : Let's Work Together

Let's work together

*

If you want me to quit then I'll quit but remember this, once I leave... you can never have me back.

*

= Third Person's Pov =

"It's kind of funny... that's the same thing he said to me... to quit... to give up... to leave" Kazunari said as he look at the sky sadly. He didn't know what to do. He doesn't even know if he still has the guts to go back there.

"T-then, we're the same... both alone and unwanted"

"I guess so..."

There was nothing but pure silence that filled the air. It wasn't uncomfortable though. The mere presence of each other comforted them.

"Do you want to get revenge?" Kazunari chuckled at his own words. He felt useless. Revenge? He doesn't even know if he could even do that.

"B-but that's... how are we even gonna do that?"

"I don't know myself" He sighed. Maybe it was better this way. Maybe he was right. Maybe it was better for him to quit.

"L-let's do it!" Ryou looked at him with eyes full of determination. Kazunari could only looked at him with disbelief. He didn't think he would take him that seriously. Ryou didn't know why he even said that. All he knows is that he is done...

He's done being nice...

He's done apologizing to people that doesn't deserve it...

He's done relying on the strength of a person so selfish...

"I just..." Ryou gritted his teeth and tears began forming on the edge of his eyes. "I don't want to be weak anymore. I want to be stronger. I want to prove him that I can be someone strong... someone who... " tears began flowing again and he couldn't continue what he was saying. Sobs and hiccups are the only things that left his mouth.

"I know. I feel the same way" Kazunari said and patted his head to comfort him. He didn't think they would be this close in just a few hours. Just because of some two selfish jerks. Though, he still wondered, what pushed Midorima to say all those things to him? What happened?

Ryou wiped his tears and tried his hardest to keep them at bay. He wiped his nose and looked at the falling droplets of water. Yup, it was still raining but not as hard. Just a few droplets here and there.

"S-sometimes, I regret being nice. Apologizing when I d-didn't even do anything wrong and... Making Unworthy people a Priority in my life" he mumbled but loud enough for Kazunari to hear. He could only nod and look at the sky once more.

"If only it was that easy..." Kazunari could not take it. He was labeled as weak and from all of the people in the world it just had to be the one he thought as his best friend.

Honestly, Kazunari didn't actually want to meddle with other people's problems unless they're close of course but Ryou and him weren't really close nor are they friends so he questioned himself on why he even convinced (forced) Ryou to tell him his problem. Maybe because he was just too curious? Nah. Actually, he knew why. He just didn't want to admit it.

As much as he doesn't like his own reasoning, he half admits that he felt... pity? No, that's not the right word... understanding? Yes. He felt like he understood why Ryou was crying. Why he was alone in the rain. Why he wasn't in school.

He's in pain.

Just like him.

They may not be close but that doesn't  mean he can let a fellow player of basketball get all soaked in the rain alone. And so he joined him in sulking. Not a very good plan but hey, now he's got someone who he can share his pain with. Someone who understood him. Someone who has gone through the very same problem.