T h i r t y f o u r

Kenny

Something seemed different....Paisley hardly looked me in the eye, she didn't look like a little girl anymore, she looked terrified. Of what?? I growl to myself, possessively looking around as if the intruder was nearby. This intruder however wasn't in wolf form and nor was it in the physical world. This was something serious, and it had something to do with my baby girl. I glance at the mud smudged on my paws, I was in wolf form atop the highest cliff. Everyone down below looked so small and helpless.....just like Paisley. I hear a mountain of footsteps and close my eyes. 

Ahh yes, it's time.

Jace

The wind was the only one watching as I circled around little Paisley in her delicate pink dress in the woods. She looked as beautiful as ever, yet something seemed off. Sadly, I knew what it was.

My father stole everything from me. Even my young mate.

I raised my fist and brutally disfigured a stray tree down to a stump. My anger boiling inside of me, clawing to come out. I hit more trees until my hands numbly gave out, even then it wasn't enough to stop me. Tears seeped onto my cheeks as I pressed my forehead against a tree close to falling.

"Jacie!" Paisley cried out, hearing the noise and running to me, reaching for my hand. Only her soft touch could force me to look up and blink away the tears. Closing my eyes, did I hear her soft whisper as she dragged me down to the ground, laying her head on my chest.

"Please don't cry." She comforted me, playing with my dark hair. If I had a heart, it would be beating out of my chest.

"Do you understand what has happened to you?" I asked, agony dripping into my voice.

"You'll never grow old, never bare any children." When she didn't respond, I continued on.

"You'll never love someone like me." My eyes drifted downward, sadness laughing in my ear.

"My dear, Jace, when will you learn I'm never truly leaving you?" She sighed, her little fingers tracing my facial features.

I closed my eyes again, breathing in the silence. She's all I have now. Why doesn't that scare me anymore? How can this be?

The questions flutter around my head like Paisley.