t w e n t y t h r e e

Silas sat across from me and Pharrah and we all huddled around our gigantic kitchen table, anxiously listening to paisley speak.

Red was in my arms as Atticus sat in Pharrah's lap, staring off into space.

"Tell us exactly what you saw, Princess." Silas insisted.

She opened her lips and said the same thing from last night. "I only saw a man in the bushes with red eyes and that's it, grandpa."

"Nothing else? What did he look like?"

"I don't know." Paisley whined angrily petting our loyal white pit bull who was named Charlie. She was a gift from Silas.

"Hey, that's all she knows-" I started to say when Pharrah spoke over me.

"Wait, he had red eyes?"

Paisley nodded reaching for her favorite teddy bear, oblivious to the danger lurking ahead.

One word was enough to make everyone in the room gasp.

"Jace."

Unknown

After Silas and Kenny set out to investigate the backyard, Paisley wandered off back to the bush, her mind didn't seem to control her body as she walked toward the man guilty of murdering many werewolves.

His red eyes peered into her dark grey ones with some curiousness and some disbelief. The daughter of such a cautious alpha was anything but her father. She was more like Pharrah in a way.

"I know you are there." The angelic voice of paisley made Jace question why his heart sped up at the sound. For once in his dusty chest, his heart was pounding like a drum.

This caused him to loose some of his hatred as he glanced at the beautiful young girl and to his utter shock, she was the most gorgeous thing on the planet. Nothing could separate him from her. Inside of him was a ticking time bomb now at the hands of a little eight year old.

Jace quickly stood up out of hiding and paisley gasped in shock. Her eyes soon were glued to his red ones as he kept shaking his head.

"No, this can't be.." He trailed off, trying to put the pieces together. It was quite obvious what the little girl now means to him.

"Mate." She quietly whispered into the thin air.

Jace finally has a reason not to kill Kenny and his pack. Paisley was his little mate. Yet what would happen next?