The Modern Romantics

Okay this is another story I've been working on, a teen fiction. Here's the preview into the monotonous lives of four childhood friends until...

Your author,
A.S.G.

Predictable

Predictable. Behaving or occurring in a way that is expected. This was my life. They say our generation is always out looking for the next best thing. Flashy new things. Bored of the same old just as soon as we get our hands on it. Except my life was set. 

This was my senior year in high school, the summer fun faded off bringing the fall breeze along with many other things.

In my family's small blue house with a white picket fence in the town of Huntswood, I lived with both my parents as an only child. Although I barely considered myself one because of my three best friends. Matthew Wright my dad, was a local carpenter, sometimes contractor, who owned his own shop at the beginning of town. My mom, Linda, had a bakery in the town square, which people flooded in for breakfast. We were like any other boring suburban family in the midst of thousands of others.

It was the complete normality of this life which never prepared me for anything beyond it, yet there was no avoiding it.

"I told you, you should've slept earlier yesterday! You would've had the time to get dressed!" Mom looked with disapproval at my lack of effort for the first day of school, white top, jeans and a sweater.

"Um..." I looked down at my outfit second guessing my choice as I drank coffee.

"Do you have the list I gave you? You really need to make sure to get it to your counselor today okay? I don't want her putting you on the bottom of the pile! I need you to be ready. Tell me your ready." Mom demanded a confident or cheery yes from me eyeballing me to give her what she wanted. But it was too early for anyone to be as energetic as her, as stressed as her, one of the many differences between her and me.

"I'm ready mom don't worry." I nodded stuffing more pancakes in my mouth.

"These are the most important years of your life. The right college experience will set the course, pave the road ahead."

"Don't worry, it's going to be fine." I tried to calm her down but she was more on edge about my first day of class as a senior than I was, although in reality stress was her default.

"Emmy this is your future. It can't just be fine. Your grades, extracurriculars, and teacher recommendations, everything matters."

I tried to get a word in but couldn't.

"And the standardized tests, you'll be prepping with Samantha right? I know if you two buckle down, there's no way you don't get an great score..."

It was a funny thing though as she went on talking I could see the finish line for the first time. A small momentary relief came over me. College. By myself. A town away. I would be free. Just one town between me and the rest of Huntswood was all I needed to be able to breathe. To say my high school years hadn't been the highlight of my life was an understatement. But college would be a fresh start. I needed it especially when I knew no one but my friends were applying there. Everyone else was off to bigger and better things and I couldn't wait to be a million miles away from them.