The little merman

Start from the beginning

*

The mermen feel the way humans do, they feel the same empathy as we do. Perhaps they feel even more, as there has never been heard of a mermaid or a merman who does not treat everyone with respect and who won't go out of their way to help someone in need, this being one of those moments showing their feelings.

No humans have been in contact with these kind of creatures before, so on this night Kellin Quinn came to become a very special young man.

I wake up with a jerk, sitting up and coughing up water. I keep coughing, resting my head in my hands, wondering what just happened when a voice makes me jump.

"Why would you do such a thing?" the stranger asks me and I turn my head to the side where I spot him.

He's looking right at me with big brown eyes, his hair going down to his shoulders. His hair isn't fully wet, it's becoming damp and from what I can see in the dark he's got curls resting around his cheeks.

He's more tan than I am, but well, who isn't? He seems fit as well, as he's shirtless. As I'm letting my eyes scan his body I suddenly realize what I missed.. I must be hallucinating.

"Um, you, you, that's a.."

Where the stranger's legs should be, I instead find a deep blue tail, the shape of one that belongs on a fish. He's moving the tail up and down a bit, as he is still looking a me, so casual. As if this isn't crazy.

I have to be dead already, that's the only explanation for what I'm seeing. Mermaids aren't real! Or.. mermans? Whatever, they don't exist! I'm dead already, and this is some weird being dead dream.

Or maybe I didn't die, maybe I never did drown.. I'm just crazy from lack oxygen.

I don't know what is going on, I don't know if I'm alive or not. I have no idea what is happening at the moment. But with how real everything around me is feeling, I don't think I drowned.

"No, no, no no no.." I mumble to myself, not wanting it to be true.

I go to move off the rock, the stranger in my imagination going to speak up but doesn't have the time to react before I'm jumping into the water again, trying to swim away from him.

But as he comes in after me, using his tail he catches up to me and holds me still easily. I struggle against him, trying to get free, but soon find it useless as he pulls me up to the edge of the beach, making me sit on the sand as he shuffles up as well.

"Why do you keep saving me?! I don't want this!" I shout at him. I still don't know if he's real or not, and I don't even care as I start crying in front of him.

"Because.. I can't let such a beautiful creature hurt themself.. I have to protect you.." His voice is low and timid as he speaks with me, yet it is really gentle and comforting. Also, I can't remember the last time someone called me beautiful and seemed like they genuinly meant it.

"Protect me? Like a guardian angel?" He chuckles at my words, and I think at first he's going to make fun of me. I knew I should'nt have believed anyone would be genuinly nice to me.

"Silly you, you're the angel.. right?"

"Wait, you think I'm an angel?"

"Well yes, the angels upstairs everyone talks about. You angels who walk the earth," he explains and it hits me how it goes together. We humans talk about the angel upstairs, upstairs as in heaven. But upstairs for a marine creature, mermaid, merman or whatever he is, must be the ground where we humans walk.

"Why would an angel want to hurt themself?" the stranger asks me.

"It's just.. Everything is just going so badly for me, I don't have anyone who matters to me, or who I matter to. I was just feeling done with everything."

"There's always someone who cares for you, if not then I will be here from now on to care for you. What's your name?"

"Kellin."

"I'm Vic."

We stay quiet for a moment after that, before I jump in surprise as he lays his hand on my thigh, running his hand down my leg. I follow his hand with my gaze, before looking up at him again, seeing that he doesn't seem to understand how I'm reading the situation.

Vic slides his hand even to the inside of my thigh that is exposed as I'm only wearing shorts that has come further up when I was in the water.

"Wow.. these are beautiful.. What are they called?" he asks me, meeting my eyes and seeming adorably fascinated. That's when I understand that he isn't flirting with me like I thought he was, he has just never seen a person's legs before. Maybe not ever, but at least never upclose.

"You mean, legs?"

"Legs.." he mumbles to himself, once again touching my thigh. I can't help but to start blushing, even though he's doing it so innocently. Anyone else would find it sexual , moving your hand over someone's thigh like this, but I can tell that Vic isn't doing this in that way.

"Does all human have legs this beautiful?" he asks, though I'm not sure if he's waiting for answer or just talking to himself.

After a while, I just tried to accept the fact that Vic most likely is real, not something I'm making up in my mind. And even if I don't know him, or what species he even is, I stay and talk with him.

Throughout the night, we talk about anything, and Vic manages to make me feel better. Better than anyone has made me feel in years. He shows me that he cares about me, and wants to get to know me. How ironic, I can't find one human I trust but I meet some merman and him I trust.

"Angel, will you please not try and hurt yourself again?" Vic asks me this after a while, moving in an ungraceful way as he moves closer to me. It's kind of cool though, that mermaid tail he's got. Wait.. that tail..

"Wait a minute.. I saw you in the water before! That blue glittering stuff, was you! You saw me and saved my life didn't you?"

"I guess so, and I don't want to have to do that again. Angel, please? I want to see you again."

"Okay, I won't.. But how? We live so differently. You live here, I don't. I live in a house, on the ground. How would that work?"

"Well, angel.. We can work that out. Wether that means me having to live at a different part of the ocean, maybe one day you'll move to a house closer to the ocean, I don't know. But we can work it out."