The little merman

Warnings: Depression, mentions of attempted suicide

/Mermen /

/noun/

/mer·man/

A marine creature with the head and upper body of a man and the tail of a fish

The thing most people don't know, is that the mermaids and mermen are very real, and they live among all of us. We never see them, but only because they do not wish to be seen. They awaken at night, and that is the only time they dare to raise to the surface of the water where they live.

They are mostly like us, their appearance being the biggest difference. They feel the way we humans feel, they love the way we love and they grieve just the way that we grieve.

Kellin's POV:
I can't take any more of this. I can't take any more of the mean words, the pushes, the stares and the rumors. Every day it just keeps feeling worse, there's no such thing as it getting better or me getting used to it.

You don't get used to feeling completely worthless, and you don't get used to not having anyone that you can feel loves you or cares for you.

Tonight, I'm ending it. I'm ending everything. I won't have to go back to that school tomorrow. That school were people can be treated like shit and nothing is done about it. That school where so many people has treated me wrong.

It's over midnight, and not a single person out here. It's a Tuesday so everyone is probably at home sleeping, or at least they are at home.

The school I go to, the school I despise, is located right by the sea. I usually love the sea, as I grew up by it. That's how it is for most teenagers here in the West part of Australia; you grow up by the sea.

The first memory I have is from playing in the sea with my mom, so for me that is where my life started. Therefore it's also where I'm choosing to end it. Drowning is said to be one of the least painful and most peaceful way to die.

Knowing so, makes me feel safe about my decision. I'm not actually scared by what I'm about to do. The other thing that is a comforting thought to me, and the other major reason for my choosing of place to end it all, is that it's so close to the school.

I know students walk by here in the morning when they're going to school, and I want a student to find my body. Preferably one of the many who has driven me to do this.

I didn't bother putting on shoes while leaving the house, so the sand tickles between my toes as I walk out on the beach, and I keep walking.

There's rather aggressive waves in the ocean, but I only keep walking, even as I get to the water. Still with all of my clothes on, I walk further and further out.

It's actually a beautiful night out tonight. The moon is reflecting onto the ocean, making the surface glitter. Though I almost believe for a moment that I see some kind of deep blue glitter as well down in the sea, only a few feet from where I'm standing.

Ignoring that, as it was probably just my imagination, I walk further out, my whole slim body shaking as the water is colder the further out I walk.

Once the water goes to my waist, I turn around, looking at the school one last time before falling back into the water, where I force myself to stay. Even as my body is telling me to get up, breathe in air, I refuse to let myself do it.

I stay right where I am, black dots starting to cover my vision as I take in water. I spot the deep blue glitter again, being the last thing I see before I go unconsious.