Chapter 34

Victoria

I laughed as I climbed down the stool in the back of Ms. Marshall's room. Randy and I got our lunches and ate here and were putting up the posters in the back of the room so we could help her out. Ms. Marshall had just left to get her lunch, so the two of us were in here by ourselves.

"Maybe you shouldn't do that anymore," I told him.

He turned around from the stool he was standing on as he smiled. "I mean, it was cool as hell. I felt like I was on a totally different world. I could hook you up wit' some. I know some niggas that work fa Benny. I know yo mans does."

I shook my head. "No he doesn't anymore. And I'm good on coke. You know that stuff is addicting."

"One time ain't gon' get you addicted," He replied.

"One time can get you killed."

"You need to live a little."

"I live a lot actually," I replied. "Just not the way you're trying to live."

"Damn," he laughed. "Ain't no problem wit' the way I live. I'mma risk taker."

I nodded my head. "And you're gonna get hurt."

"But at least I'm havin' fun."

"Yeah," I mumbled, taking a step back so I could see what we had really done to the back of Ms. Marshall's classroom. We had put up a few of her posters, which were all the motivational ones that every teacher has in their classroom. All of them had the same inspirational message but they all seemed to motivate you in a different way. Some of them consisted of:

Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.

Make an effort. Not an excuse.

Let's get punctual.

And even down to her grammatical posters, the posters with parts of a paragraph, identifying nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc. and her classroom expectations. It was the normal posters every teacher had in their classroom.

"I think us did a good job," Randy smiled.

I scrunched up my face. "Us?" I asked. "Don't you mean we."

He shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah, whateva. You do that shit often?"

"What?"

"Correct my French."

I smiled. "I hate when people talk wrong, my bad," I replied.

"Nah, you good. Don't nobody but Marshall correct me," he chuckled. "You seem kinda smart and I'm havin' some trouble in my otha class. You mind helping me?"

"Like tutoring?" I asked.

"Yeah, that."

I shook my head. "Sorry but I don't tutor anymore."

"T Boogie said you would tutor me since you tutored him and that nigga Keenon last year," he replied.

"Teddy doesn't make my schedule up for me, I do. And I'm too busy tutoring him and doing my own work. I just can't this year."

"How I"m 'possed to pass my classes den?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know, maybe try studying but I don't have time to tutor anybody."

"Not even durin' school?" He asked. 

"I kind of have classes during school."

"No shit," he sarcastically replied. "I'm tal'm 'bout like during lunch or whateva."