09 | нαтє тнαт ι ℓσνє уσυ

Start from the beginning

Two of the culprits were my aunts, Jillian and Amy. They weren't around much because of their own successful lives, but every time that they did come around, it was always a pleasure.

"Ryan!" Amy exclaimed as she leapt from her seat to approach me, her arms outstretched. Before I could get the chance to prevent the inevitable, she pulled me into her small frame and refused to let me go. "Aw, it's been so long! You know, you're my favorite twin."

"Why?"

"Because Bryan reminds me too much of my brother."

I laughed a humorless laugh at her comment because it was true. Bryan was doing everything in his power to follow in Scar's footsteps. "Well, thanks."

"How's school going, Ry?" Jillian chimed in with a bright, eager smile on her pink lips.

I shrugged. "School's school, you know. Hard classes, boring teachers."

"Ugh," Jillian groaned and rolled her eyes, "tell me about it, but don't let it pass you by. Soon enough, you're gonna be in the real world wishing that you were still in school."

"I don't think that's true, but okay." My gaze switched to the third member of tonight's guests and just-as-important family member, Trey. He wasn't actually related to us, but he was around so often that he might as well be. "Hey, Uncle Trey."

"What's up, little man? You giving your parents a hard time?"

I faked a laugh. "You know it."

And that concluded the tour of my unorthodox family.

Part of the reason why my parents were making such a big deal about dinner was because we had guests over and Scar always wanted to impress people, even if they were his own family.

But it wasn't like I totally minded having a huge family dinner, anyway. It was a perfect distraction from Bobby and his shenanigans, and it was a perfect time to focus on what was really important—family. No matter how much these people got on my nerves, I wouldn't want to trade them for anyone else and I appreciated everything they had ever done for me. I needed to repay them by making them proud of me and that wasn't going to happen if I was constantly hanging around Bobby.

"So, Bryan, are you going to enroll in Ace?" Trey asked my twin, but the question was more directed at my parents.

"We don't have money to pay for your expensive football school, Trey," Jamie commented with a distinct roll of the eye.

Trey brought his lips into a grin to reveal his charmingly white teeth. "It'd be free for Bryan."

"I don't see why not," Scar piped up. "Bryan's been getting pretty good. Almost might make captain."

I sunk into my seat and focused my attention on my food rather than my family talk about all the good that Bryan was doing. It sucked to hear that my other half was significantly better than me simply because he did all the things that my parents wanted him to do. I knew they loved me, but I couldn't deny that they favored Bryan more because Bryan wasn't a fuck up.

"Ew, sports," Jillian whined, resembling a little kid. "I regret coming to dinner with a table full of guys. Kay, is it always like this for you?"