chapter 28

Shayne:

I walked into the Smosh office early the next day, the date last night with Olivia still on my mind. How were we supposed to date when there were so many eyes constantly watching us? 

"Hey, Shayne," Courtney interrupted my thoughts, waving at me as I walked in.

"Hey," I ran my hand through my hair.

"You look stressed," she waved me over to her desk. No one else was here yet, we were both here ten minutes early.

I walked to her desk slowly, a weight still on my shoulders. "Yeah, actually I am," I sat down on the chair across from her.

"Tell me about it! What's wrong?" Courtney faced me, giving me all of her attention.

"Nothing, just relationship problems, I guess," it felt good to finally talk to someone about this. "Olivia and I are kind of trying to figure out how to make our relationship work when there are so many outside factors..." I paused as she leaned in a little bit.

"Continue," she smiled reassuringly, her face only a couple inches from mine. I cleared my throat, uncomfortable, but continued. 

"Yeah, so, anyways, we were just trying to figure out how to - " she leaned in, her head tilting, and kissed me. I let her kiss me for a couple seconds before I pulled back suddenly. "Courtney, what the f-" I turned to the door.

Olivia and Noah stood at the door, Noah holding the door open, shocked, and Olivia looking between Courtney and me, her eyes widening.

Oh my god.

I stood up and made my way to Olivia. "Olivia, it's not what you think. Really, I-" I tried to continue but she started to back away from me. She kept on backing away until she hit the door, and then she turned around and ran to the bathroom, her eyes filling up with tears. Noah looked at me, disgusted, and then ran after Olivia.

I turned to face Courtney. "What the hell!" I stood at the door, glaring at her. "What... the... hell," I breathed, trying to calm myself down.

"I'm sorry, Shayne," she muttered, looking down. I was so furious I couldn't even find the words to respond to her. "But you kissed me back for a second," she whispered.

I looked at her, rage suddenly boiling within me. "Yeah, you wish," I spit out, immediately feeling guilty. The room was silent for a minute, as we both contemplated. 

I did kiss her back. 

I thought for a minute and then started to make my way towards the door to go find Olivia. As I opened the door, I heard Courtney speak behind me.

"Shayne, you didn't pull away," she called after me as I shut the door behind me, my stomach twisting inside of me. 

Now I was really fricking confused.

If I liked Olivia, then why did I kiss Courtney? I paced back and forth in the hallway, rage bubbling in my stomach. What's wrong with me? What the hell is wrong with me? The anger made its way through my body until I felt furious. At Courtney, and at me. Without thinking about what I was doing first, I punched the wall as hard as I could.

 I stepped back, breathing heavily, and looked at the damage I had made. I had punched a clear hole through the wall, and my fist was bleeding heavily.

Shit.

Olivia:

I sat in the stall, listening to Noah calling my name and banging on the door.

"Liv, come out," he pleaded.

I ignored him, as I breathed heavily, the tears still pouring out of my eyes.

In my rage, I stuffed my hand in my jacket pocket, the one I had worn yesterday, and pulled out the small piece of paper.

I punched in the numbers and held the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Sam,"