chapter 9

Olivia:

As our group sat in the circle talking about tomorrow, what I did finally sank in. I don't know exactly why I did it but I know I had been waiting to do it for a long time. I purposely sat as far away as I could from Shayne as to not deal with his questions or rejection. But I knew that after the meeting I would have to go back to the same room as him.

"And then after the filming the volleyball beach game we're going to go jet skiing for fun. And then we're done, but just meet briefly in the lobby for a quick run-through of the next day." Ian looked up from his clipboard. "Any questions?"

No one had any questions. I glanced at Shayne just to see if he was paying attention but he had been looking at me. We made eye contact and I quickly looked down and turned away. God, now I have to deal with his rejection. I know what I did was wrong because he's a coworker and friend and I might have just ruined our friendship. 

"Alright. If there are no questions you may go," Ian smiled. "Sleep well tonight, it's a big day tomorrow." 

Everyone started to disperse and find their hotel room groups to head off to their rooms. I found Courtney, grabbed her arm, and immediately started to walk to the hotel room before Shayne caught up.

"Whoa, whoa whoa. Hold on! We have to wait for Keith and Shayne!" Courtney pulled me back.

Before I could explain why I had to leave now, Shayne and Keith found us and started walking towards us. As we walked to our hotel room, Courtney and Keith talked excitedly about tomorrow while Shayne and I walked in silence. 

"You guys are really quiet today," Keith said. "That's really weird for Shayne," he laughed.

Shayne and I glanced at each other but then quickly looked away. I knew it was awkward for him too. I just made everything awkward between us and probably ruined our friendship. 

We finished our walk to the room and I used the bathroom to change quickly into my night clothes and brush my teeth. Afterward, I gratefully climbed into my bed and pulled the comforter over my head.

"Olivia?" I heard Courtney's voice from outside the blanket. 

"Yeah?" I said from under the blanket.

"Are you okay? You've been acting kind of weird today," Courtney sat on my bed next to me.

"I'm fine," My voice was muffled by the blanket. "Just tired."

"Are you sure?" Courtney asked.

"Yes, Court. I'm one hundred percent fine."

'Whatever you say, Liv." Courtney stood up and climbed up the stairs to her bunk.

"I'm turning the lights off, guys," Keith called, and then the light passing through my blanket suddenly disappeared. I cautiously removed my head from the comforter and relaxed. I heard Shayne lay down on the bed next to mine.

After probably half an hour, I still couldn't sleep. I heard Keith and Courtney's snores and knew they had already fallen asleep. I assumed Shayne was asleep too because I didn't hear him move since he laid down. 

I tried to get out of my bed as quietly as I could without waking anyone up. I pulled my shoes out from under the bed and started to put them on until I heard movement from the bed next to me. I turned around to see what it was and I was met with a bright light shining in my face. 

"Ow!" I shielded my eyes with my hands and squinted as I started to see spots. The light immediately lowered.

"Oops, I'm so sorry!" Shayne whispered loudly. "Are you okay?" He stood up.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I thought you were asleep?" I asked him.

"I couldn't sleep. I thought you were asleep until I heard you putting on your shoes. Where are you going?"

I sighed. I was going to go for a walk but now if I say that he might want to come with me.

"Nowhere," I took my shoes off and laid back down in my bed, defeated. 

"Oh," Shayne also relaxed back in his bed. After about ten minutes, when I was starting to drift off, I could have sworn I heard Shayne say, "Thank you," but before I could say anything back I heard him begin to softly snore.

What does that mean?

Hey guys! Sorry for not updating I was on a short trip. I hope you're enjoying this so far! I know this chapter may have seemed anti-climatic but I kind of needed a filler chapter and a way to transition to the next day. Thanks for reading and I love y'all <3!