Chapter 6- Here

“Don’t you dare look at my face” She spat.

I stared at the dirt brown ground, my mouth gaping. I repressed my urge to attack her and kept staring at the stupid ground.

The area she had slapped me, it tingled and burned. Surely there would be a red mark on my cheek.

“Are you even listening to me!” Dee exclaimed.

I nodded, still looking at the ground. Looking at the ground was nice now, it was the better option.

“Good, for the rest of the week or however long you will be tending to crops out there” she said pointing to the entrance of the tent.

“If you so much as look suspicious someone will shoot you” she said emphasizing the will. “Got it?” She yelled.

“yes” I whispered. She nudged me and we walked out of the tent. I kept my head down and walked in the direction she did.

After a long and silent walk of staring at the ground aimlessly we finally arrived at a field of wheat. 

I stared in awe and stood still as she harshly nudged me forward again. This was the only pack that grew their own food we've seen that grows their own food.

Dee threw a sickle at my feet “start cutting”

I crouched and grabbed the sickle, examining it. What? Cutting what?

She glared at me and motioned me to where she went. Starting to cut the wheat, she grabbed a had full and sliced the bundle “this is what you are going to do, so do it” she said gruffly.

I nodded and made my way a little further into the field and started to cut wheat. I paused, feeling the mark and grimaced, it stung like hell.

That slap was totally uncalled for, she had slapped me for no reason!

“Here” I looked up and saw the sun peircing my eyes and next to the blinding light was Dexter handing me a basket.

“Thanks I guess” I mumbled, reaching for the basket.

“Are you ok?” he asked.

“yup” why was he concerned, wasn’t he just a guard that looked after me?

He might just pity me. I wiped off the sweat that was already dripping down my face and continued to cut the wheat.

After a couple of hours of cutting wheat in the blazing sun, someone rang a bell which signaled the others to go in.

I stood up looking confused.

“Food”

“What?” I asked, tilting my head.

“It’s dinner time although I don’t know what’ll happen to you, maybe you’ll go back to your cell” Dexter said.

I narrowed my eyes “Why are you so nice to me when the others aren’t?”

“I don’t know, it’s just this feeling I have” he shuffled uncomfortably looking at his feet.

“Dexter! Bring her back down to the cell” someone across the field yelled.

He nodded and grabbed my arm, pulling me along.

This was just so weird.

He pulled me past the tents again and I saw Graham sitting on a bench drinking beer. He was so close, inches away, I took my chance and yanked me arm away from Dexter and made my way to Graham.

“Hi Graham” I said hopefully with my hands together in front of me.

There was a flash of movement that stunned me and a hand came towards me. Graham yanked my hair as I screamed in pain. Tears started to form as he pulled me by the collar of my shirt.

He lifted me up so we were eye to eye. Trembling in fear, I smelled the stench coming from him and I recoiled in disgust. He pulled me even closer so that we touched.

“Listen here, just because I was nice to you in the beginning doesn’t mean I’m going to be now. You are the prisoner, you are not one of us. You were the only one that survived so I decided to spare you” He hissed into my ear. His disgusting mouth was in my hair, I shuddered.

He lifted me again and threw me on the dirt ground with force, I thought I heard something break. I hit my head on impact and I was dizzy, maybe a concussion. I focused and winced as I got up, some bruising hopefully nothing broken just by that.

I was stupid and careless, I mistook his behavior before for kindness. I staggered after Dexter who looked at me with pity, maneuvering my way out of the crowd of people who had been watching us for entertainment. They snickered as I passed them and I growled in return.

“You should’ve just kept quiet” he shook his head disapprovingly.

My wolf just sighed and agreed with him.

We were silent the rest of the way, it was a slow and painful walk, bruises already formed on my sides and it ached to walk. Dexter didn’t seem to mind as I staggered, he just went with my pace.

Each step I took made me exhale more.

I carefully walked down into my cell and slid down on the back wall. I put my head on my knees and breathed. 

“Here” Dexter said.

I chuckled softly, he was probably going to say that for a while.

I looked up and saw he had a tray of food. I slowly got up and wobbled across the room to get it and sat back down.

I looked up once again to see that Dexter was no longer there.

The tray consisted of a sandwich, just a sandwich with ham.

At least it was something I guess.

I nodded and shoved it in my mouth savoring its taste, grateful for any nourishment.

I gobbled it all down and exhaled. I started to pat myself down on the side where I landed. I grimaced as I poked my sides. Bruises everywhere.

Tears streamed down my face, I crawled to the corner of the cell and hugged my self, knees to my chest. I continued to sob until I fell asleep.

One thing was one my mind as I fell asleep.

Escape.