Chapter 2

Chapter 2: The Calling

So this is how it feels like to be dead.

Empty.

Hollow.

Lonely.

Cold.

Confused.

Scared.

So I'm dead. Is this the afterlife? At first confusion struck at me as I tried to comprehend where I was. Soon it hit me as the events that had happened a second, minutes, hours, days, or years since my death.

Sitting up I looked around where I was and found myself in a white room that seemed endless. I didn't see any walls.

Why does this place look so calming though? Well at least I'm not in the underworld. Yet.

Pulling my knees to my chest I hugged my knees tighter as I replayed the moments of my death again.

His vicious face.
Emotionless.
Eyes filled with hatred.
Strong.
Skilled.
Blood.
Me.
Weak.
Crying.
Begging.
Pathetic.
Blood.

"Sleeping beauty's awake!" Someone announced behind me.

Shocked that someone was here I turned my head frantically eyeing the guy behind me who was wearing a black tunic. He had a playful smirk planted on his lips. If I was not dead I would have thought this guy was as pretty as hell.

Trying to create as much distance as possible between me and him I attempted to stand up but, miserably fell back onto my bottom.

"Your scaring her with that dreadful outfit of yours! The girl just died for god sakes! Your clothing itself seems like your a devil that's going to kill her again!" A girl's voice exclaimed behind me.

Stopping myself from scotching my attention turned to the girl that was dressed in a white dress that made her skin glow. The total opposite of the boy who's face had dark shadows spreading on his face.

I realized something felt a little off as I was supposed to be feeling my heart racing wildly because that was how scare I was. Until I realized I was dead. I keep forgetting.

Looking up to the girl I pled "help me."

She smiled kindly and crouched down so she was at the same level as me.

"Don't worry. I will. We just need you to hear us out first." She responded kindly.

"Hey! That is just insulting! Am I dead to you? I'm not a bad person!" The boy whined.

The girl gave the boy a hard glare.

"In fact at this moment you are dead and you are a bad person!" She retorted.

The boy's face turned offended and looked slightly hurt.

"But...you'll always be a good person to me." She cooed.

Instantly the boy's face lit up and gave her a lovey dovey smile acting shy for a second.

While the girl's face flushed a cherry tomato red laughing quietly.

This is making me cringe hard. I know I'm a party pooper but I pretended to cough to remind them back that I was here.

Instantly their faces went back to there serious faces.

"My apologies Anna. He can be distracting." The girl said.

"Wh-at!" The boy practically yelled.

"And embarrassing." She sighed like she was handling the impossible. Which I very much can understand.

"Be serious John!" She begged him.

He sighed and his face went serious as he straightened up his back to look more professional.

Clearing his throat he stepped towards me slowly, cautious that I was still startled.

"We have witnessed your death and are-"

"Are you guys shamans? Where am I? Who are you? I'm dead right? Tell me!"I cried out as tears welled up my eyes.

Everything that they did was only freaking me out and making me nervous each time. The word to describe this was strange. Of course it wasn't as scary as the...

Bang!
Blood.
Gun.
Mrs.Wilkskins
Killer.
Xavier.

I gasped as I grabbed onto the body part where my heart should have been. My breaths were quick as I tried to calm myself down.

Thump! Thumpthump!

Wait! Was that my heart? My hand clutched onto the white t-shirt that I was wearing as I tried to make sure I heard right.

Thump. Thump.

I'm dead right? Unless I was still breathing. Which meant I was still alive.

"We don't have time." The girl spoke hurriedly and crouched down looking at me with concern.

Suddenly the boy appeared by her side staring at me intently.

"I'll make this quick. I'm Death and this is Life." He brought his hand in front of me as I opened my mouth to ask questions.

"Don't ask anything yet. Listen and respond carefully. Life and me are here to propose something to you. We want to give you a chance to haunt the person who killed you. Don't ask questions, just tell me if your interested. If you say yes we will give you further instructions. If you say no then you'll leave." His words hit me like a bucket of cold water.

I stared at him in awe as the words were still comprehending in my brain. My brain was not getting what he was saying at all.

"Did you just say that you guys will let me go back alive and haunt-"

"What did I say! No questions. What I just said is real and deal with the answers after okay. Make up the decision on under thirty seconds or your choices will be gone." He yelled.

His voice was slowly fading away as I remembered that was dead... in a way.
The memory of my death showed up in my mind again as I watched my killer mercilessly shot me with his gun. With his emotionless face replaying in my head several times. The guy who called himself Death I heard his offer once again.

"We want to give you a chance to haunt the person who killed you."

What made me make up my mind was this.

"Xavier. You haven't haven't had your first kill yet, right?"

His name's Xavier.

"I agree." I said.

Silence.

"Well we might as well get started right away" the girl who's name was Life said.

Whatever softness or kindness I had inside of me was gone. Smirking evilly I made my goal clear.

To destroy my killer.

Xavier Hart. You better watch out because I'm going to make you pay.