1- Layla

Two weeks. Two weeks that I managed to refrain myself from saying anything controversial around my family, due to my mom's wishes. So why is it three hours before our flight back to Texas that I'm busted for giving feminism lessons to all my hundreds of cousins? Although not in the best way possible...

We were sitting and eating our last breakfast in Morocco with my grandparents, mostly making sure everything was in check for the flight. I then stood up to clear the table when my lovely little cousin decided to help me, God bless his soul.

"Tbarkallah, you won't worry about cleaning once you get married." My grandpa said in a broken english.

I all but expected the lovely Ali to reply "Layla says my chances of finding a wife are pretty low if I act like a misogynistic asshole like you."

I, Layla, winced as glasses that were hours ago filled with tea fell down the tray in my hands to land on the carpet.
Turning around paying no attention to it, I observed the shocked faces of half my family, the death glare from my mom and my cousin Zara's huge grin.

There are so many things I could say right now like that I was pretty sure I called every man in the family misogynistic assholes except for my grandfather.

Time for daggers to be thrown at me!

——————————

We had dropped Zara off at her house before driving the car - it had stayed at the airport- towards ours, I was barely awake as she whispered to me how much she missed dick and hugged me goodbye, that's what 13 hours up in the air does to a person.

Our house was halfway around the city. The ride was filled with my brother's snoring and I struggled to keep my eyes open even when I was getting off the car.

As I went around it to open the trunk and pick up my suitcase, I felt my foot getting wet which instantly woke me up as I looked down to meet a diabolical creature also known as a dog licking me.

« Mama? »

My heart started pounding and my legs trembled as I started running away screaming until I couldn't physically continue to. I looked up facing the woman I was holding onto for dear life and smiled.

The afternoon sun was glistening on her dark skin and I instantly realized my thighs were too much weight for her to handle. She didn't look frail but her skinny arms and legs couldn't possibly compete against my 75kg of pure fat and gorgeousness.

I quickly detangled myself from her, my senses still on high alert as I couldn't see the little fury ball of evil.

Before I can gather a sincere apology, she started talking and I blushed at how rude I must've seem.

« C'mon sweetie you don't have to be scared, we used to have a much bigger dog, this one is only a meter long. » Our apparent new neighbor smiled. « My name is Kimberly and this is my husband Jon Soo.» She pointed behind me and sure enough a man that looked to be of asian decency and about 50 years old was shaking hands with my mom, who was sending another death glare my way.

I disconnected myself from the conversation after introducing myself to the couple, my entire body still shaking in fear.

My mom then walked in the house leaving Bobby and I to discharge the car. We both got into our living room walking over to my dad who was talking with my mom.

« Hi honey », he said making me scoff.
« More like goodbye because I'm going to sleep »

I didn't miss my brother's smile as he nodded towards our parents and I just nodded back.

——————————

I cursed the jet lag as I woke up at 2am. I went into the bathroom scrutinizing the damage made to my hair and skin.

My wavy dirty blond hair -coming from my dad- was tangled and I rolled my eyes preparing myself for the torture to come in the morning before washing my face, because I won't be having pimples if I have a say in it.

I was drying my skin when I heard noises coming from the neighbors' house. They were nicer than the past ones so might as well check if they're getting murdered.

My eyes widened at the scene before me.

Kimberly's youthful face must've aged ten years in a matter of hours, tears were streaming down her face and she looked so weak my heart ached for her as her hands reached out for the face of an incredibly tall guy standing in front of her.

The porch's light was barely making it possible for me to see anything but I noticed how the stranger froze a while before he hugged her, a tattooed hand gripping to her long silver dreads and his lips lingering in a kiss on her forehead.

Jon Soo had a noticeable strong demeanor when I met him and as he walked into the picture I could see his knees were struggling while he approached the pair.

When I thought my eyes couldn't widen more, they fell down to the ground onto the death machine running around licking foots. I held a gasp at the dog that probably was half my size standing.

Who's the stranger and why is the seemingly strong couple so shaken by his arrival?

I let my curiosity get the most of me when the emotional hug came to an end. As Jon Soo stepped in to hold hands with the bringer of death he himself looked up and locked eyes with me.

Shit.