Chapter Sixty Eight: It Ends Here.

This chapter... It's going to be on the long side so get comfy :)

-

Esau dreamt of an angel. She was beautiful, with glowing white skin and soft blue eyes that seemed otherworldly. And on her cheeks were strange circles cut into her skin that made her face look smaller than it actually was and her eyes larger than they actually were.

The nine year old was drawn to the serene figure as she floated in front of him, her arms outstretched as though beckoning him to come closer.

"Who are you?" He asked, his gaze tracing the blue jewel embedded in the girl's forehead and finally stopping at the gaping holes in her stretched earlobes. He had never seen anything like it before.

"I am Maeg." She answered, her voice as soothing as the quiet tinkle of a bell. Her smile was slow and gentle, and for a moment Esau was reminded of spring.

"I'm Esau." The boy said, feeling the need to introduce himself.

"I know." Her soft smile remained as put her arms down to her sides.

The glow around her receded and Esau now saw that she wore a long white dress. It's flowing tresses merged effortlessly with the space around them.

He gaped at her and titled his head, trying to get a closer look at the thin, wisp like material that covered her body. "Are you an angel?"

Her quiet laugh echoed out, pleasant as a wind chime as she mirrored his action. "Do you believe in angels?"

"No. But I always thought my Ma was one." Esau said, an uncomfortable feeling brewing in his chest. Something was wrong.

"I always thought she was an angel too." The girl said, her eyes dimming for a second before the glow in them increased in intensity.

"You know my mother?"

". . . I met her, once."

"Oh." For some reason, Esau felt disappointed. Why did he feel like he was forgetting something?

"Do I look like your Ma?" Maeg asked suddenly, blending a little with the white space she floated in.

Esau shook his head.

"Then I don't think I'm an angel." She smiled widely and light reflected off her teeth and into his eyes.

"Where am I?" He asked, squinting against the sudden brightness.

"You don't remember?" Maeg slowly approached him, gliding in the whiteness to float right by his face, a hint of barely detectable surprise flitting over her features. "No, that's not good. Your sister needs you."

"Edythe?" Esau's eyes automatically snapped to his side but he was only met with white space. He was floating in it too, but where was Edythe? She had to be with him. They never left each other's side. Where did she go to?

"Oh dear," Maeg reached out and held his face in both hands, a conflicted expression on her small face, "you really need to go back."

Esau felt a burst of pain in his chest, his heart aching for the strange girl with the bright smile. "But you'll be all alone."

Maeg laughed. "Thanks for the concern, Esau. I'll be fine," her features shifted into one of solemnity, "but you're not supposed to be here without your sister. You need to wake up."

"But I'm not sleeping," Esau protested, suddenly feeling tired.

He yawned.

"I know." She gave him a motherly kiss on the forehead, her features seeming to age in that moment, ". . . you children are such dear things."