Chapter Twenty Eight: A Golden Defeat •EDITED•

Immediately after Priscilla stepped aside and announced the start of the match, Corey was sent flying.

Before the crowd could fully react, he had already smashed into his end of the dome and shattered it. The shields reinforcing that curved portion of the wall flickered and crumbled along with the disintegrating slab of concrete, before springing back up again and shoving him forward.

The minister resembled a puppet that had lost it's strings, dangling and lifeless without someone to tug at his limbs and command movement. Anyone with functional eyes saw that. And the only reason he was still standing was because of the forcefield that supported his battered body.

Other than the fact that his chest rose slightly with each moment that passed Corey seemed more rag doll than human.

It had happened so fast that no one in the audience was clear on what had occurred-who hit who, and how?

Not caring for their confusion the point counter had awarded three points to Gideon. That meant that the minister had been attacked thrice in succession. In other words, he had been hit three times before anyone could notice.

The audience was made up of seasoned veterans who had braved death countless times, they had trained their eyes to pay attention to the littlest of details so it was surprising that they hadn't noticed a thing.

What speed. . . Their gazes turned to the screen at the highest point of the dome. The time had already started counting down and the blinking zero on Corey's half of the board proved that the general was still untouched.

Ten seconds, that was all the time the minister had to get up and declare that he could still fight, but by the looks of it that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. Some men in the crowd-those who served directly under him-were prepared to rush into the dome and rescue their commander. After all, the minister still had to lead them to reclaim the capital-and he couldn't do that if he was half-dead.

"What-" the others shot out of their seats after coming to the startling realization that Corey had been swiftly defeated the moment the fight had began. They peered into the arena with enthusiasm and those who had bet on Gideon were ecstatic as they watched the minister slump against the wall of invisible particles-even Priscilla was slack-jawed and speechless. She hadn't expected any major developments so early into the match.

"As per the rules," she quickly regained her composure, finding her voice as the screen above her slowed down and replayed the hit, "if a combatant doesn't get up after the count of ten then they are disqualified."

3, 2, 1. . .

"Wait," the command erupted from the rubble and Corey took a shaky step forward. He held up his hand for a moment and seemed to drag his body along with him before letting his arm fall to his side. "I'm fine."

Priscilla blinked and let out a sigh, she didn't know if she was relieved or disappointed but this brutal show would go on until one of the ministers had to be hospitalized-the profits would be unimaginable. "The minister is up! After suffering three strikes apparently out of nowhere, we thought it was the end!"

She tried to excite the audience even though it wasn't needed. They were hyped enough as it is.

The attack was replayed at varying speeds until the three slashes were finally revealed on the screen. In the blink of an eye the general had swung his axe, unleashing a series of wind blades into the space in front of him and cornering the minister. Corey had managed to dodge each slash but the force behind them had sent him into the wall.

"You aren't as light on your feet as I thought you were." Gideon teased and gently swung his axe. The motion sent a sharp gust of wind Corey's way and the minister barely evaded the attack. He kept his arms up to shield his face as he was knocked back one more time.