Chapter 2

Jack sat glumly at a lunch table, staring at Elsa who was too engrossed in her book to notice the commotion of the lunch room around her. She was like a different creature from the people who surrounded him. Elsa was a no nonsense person, but behind her carefully built mask, he saw girl who yearned to be free. Jack studied her more. She held herself with poise and grace, like a queen. Elsa was among the people Jack was supposed to stay away from, yet she was like a mythical being. She was oblivious to the world that surrounded her, clever in her own way, and existed only in his mind. Jack realized she was actually, in a strange way, higher than him. She was there, but just out reach. "Hey Jack," his friend, Jamie, tapped him on the shoulder, interrupting his daze. "Huh? What?" "Staring at Elsa again, I see?" He teased. "She's never going to date you, you know. Besides, she's not on our level." Jack didn't say anything. "Hey. I dare you to ask her to sit with us." Jamie nudged him. "C'mon. Or are you scared of being rejected?" Jack scowled. "Challenge accepted." He strolled over to the table where Elsa was sitting. Jack took a quick glance at her face, which was still buried in the book. He cleared his throat. "Hey Elsa." "Hello, Frost." Elsa said, not looking up. "Why don't you ever call me by my first name?" Elsa marked her page and closed the book. "I don't see the need to use your first name, Frost." She said coldly. "Why are you here?" "Uh... Do you wanna eat lunch with me?" Elsa dropped her book, startled. She blushed furiously as Jack picked up her book. "No, I'm happy eating lunch here." She said after regaining her composure. Elsa couldn't help but noticed Jack looked... Disappointed. But, why would he be? People like him didn't belong with people like her. "Okay." He said quietly. Jack walked back to Jamie. "She rejected you, didn't she?" Jamie asked. "Don't worry there are plenty of other girls. Forget about her." "You got any better ideas to make me look like a fool in front of the girl of my dreams?!" Jack asked angrily. Jamie put his hands up. "Prom's coming up. I'm just saying you'll be needing a date." Jack glanced over to Elsa who was once again lost in her book. "Oh, don't you worry about that... I'll be going to prom with the prettiest girl in school... That's a guarantee."