s i x t e e n

Darry Curtis paces around the living room of his home, nervously waiting for Paul to come pick him up. They were going out for lunch to catch up on a few things.

Its been forever since they've actually talked. The two used to hang out all the time in high school but things changed after Paul got into college.

Paul went away to be a nurses aid and Darry was stuck taking care of his brothers and working all the time. It was a sad story, really, but now they'd be meeting up again.

Darry jumps slightly when he hears a knock on the door, turning his head quickly to look at it. He slowly steps forward and opens the door cautiously.

There stands Paul, a dopey, almost nervous grin on his face. Darry steps aside to let Paul in before closing the door behind them both.

"Hey Darry, are you ready," Paul asks him.

Gosh, his voice sounds a lot more mature than the last time they both spoke. Of course, it was on the phone and that messes with your voice a bit.

"U-uhm," Darry stutters a little. "Y-yeah, I'm ready to go."

Paul nods and turns again, opening the door and walking out of it. The slightly younger boy follows, making sure to close the door before walking down the porch steps.

The older boy walks to his car, getting in the drivers side and closes the door, buckling his seat belt. Darry gets in the passenger side and does the same, fidgeting and looming out of the window.

"So where do you wanna eat," Paul asks him. "I know your favorite places around this town."

Darry's cheeks go a dark shade of crimson and he just nods his head. He was right, the boy knew just about every place he liked around town.

That's how close they were, or well, used to be. They knew just about everything about each other ranging from favorite colors to secrets that they've never told anyone else.

"Why are you so red Darry," Paul asks, tilting his head to the side. "Are you really that nervous or something?"

"Y-yeah," Darry responds slowly. "I-its been years since we a-actually talked and I missed h-having my best friend..."

"Awe," Paul cooes teasingly. "You missed me. I missed you too."

"Y-you did," Darry starts. "R-really?"

"Of course I missed you," Paul says. "It was weird not being around you because we were usually attached at the hip."

Darry nods, a small laugh coming out. They used to be like that, never apart and they'd always joke about being that close forever.

Paul pulls into the restaurant's parking lot after a few more minutes of driving and he parks, turns off the car and takes the key out. He unbuckles his seat belt and gets out, jogging over to Darry's side.

Darry smiles a bit and undoes his seat belt, going and to open the door before before Paul got the chance. The older boy beat him to it and opens the door, allowing Darry to get out.

The slightly younger boy pouts and shuts the car door, following Paul as he took off walking towards the entrance. Paul opens the door, allowing Darry to walk inside.

"When did you become a gentleman," Darry asks teasingly, his nervousness slowly unraveling. "I don't remember a time where you were."

"Well I guess when you grow up, you get a bit more mature," Paul says shrugging. "Gotta impress a beautiful person."

Darry's heart drops to his toes and he bites his lip, slowly nodding. He may have not even known if he was a queer but that hurt a little.

"You like someone," Darry asks softly, sitting in a booth that Paul had led them to.

"Yeah," Paul says shrugging. "I do. I've known them for a long time and I really enjoy spending time with them."

"Who is it," Darry starts. "I-if I can ask you."

"Well... You know them pretty well," Paul says. "Even if sometimes you think you don't, you do."

"Is it one of my brothers," Darry asks. "Cause if so they're both taken."

Paul chuckles and Darry swears he could feel his heart turn to mush. Paul was just so... Amazing...

"It ain't your brothers but you just got a lot warmer with that guess," Paul states. "One more guess."

"But I don't really know a lot of people," Darry says, furrowing his eyebrows. "Just tell me."

Paul smiles a little and rests his elbows on the table, leaning over so his face was barely an inch away from his face. Darry's cheeks flush crimson and he looks into Paul's eyes.

"You."

With that, Paul presses his lips to Darry's gently, causing the younger boy to practically melt. As a result, Darry definitely knew he didn't like girls as much as he thought.

-  -  -  -  -

How was this?

Yay! A Daul chapter!

I'm actually really proud of this so I think I'm gonna do a little more updating today! Also I might actually start a Daul book if any of you are interested in reading that.

Just tell me in the comments if you do!