t e n

Ponyboy lay fast asleep in bed, facing Johnny as the older boy holds him. Johnny wasn't asleep though, his mind was full of thoughts as his eyes dart around the room.

The alarm clock on the night stand reads midnight. Sleep just isn't coming easy to the poor boy, not tonight.

Johnny runs his hand through Ponyboy's hair gently and kisses his temple. The younger boy shifts closer to Johnny and nuzzles into him gently.

"You're such a beautiful boy Pony," Johnny murmurs softly. "I don't know why you chose to like me though... I'm nothing special. I'm just some boy who works for you."

Johnny sighs softly and looks out of the window, staring up at the moon. It was so bright...

The older boy closes his eyes and places his chin on top of Pony's head, breathing softly. Just then, the door opens, a small creak emitting from the hinge.

"Pony, are you sleeping? I gotta ask you someth-," Soda starts but stops once he notices the other body in his little brother's bed. "Woah..."

Johnny freezes and holds Ponyboy close, frightened of being taken away from him. Soda carefully and quietly steps forward.

"Is Johnathon the person that Ponyboy was telling me about," Soda asks himself. "I mean.. It is possible but is it likely?"

Soda places a hand on Johnny's shoulder and shakes him gently. Johnny pretends to wake up and turns to face Soda with widened eyes.

"H-hello sir," Johnny whispers. "W-what can I do t-to help you?"

"I only have a few questions for you. Are you willing to answer," Soda asks quietly.

"Y-yes sir," Johnny replies.

"Question one: Why are you in bed with my little brother? Be honest please," Soda says.

"P-pony invites me to sleep i-in his bed every night s-so I don't sleep on t-the floor in the laundry room," Johnny replies truthfully.

"Okay. Next question: How close are you to my little brother," Soda asks. "I wonder because he talked to me about liking a boy but wouldn't tell me who."

"I-i would say really c-close," Johnny murmurs. "I-i mean he loves o-on me a lot. H-he likes to spoil me and h-help out with my chores. H-he cuddles with me when you and your brother a-aren't home."

The thought makes Johnny smile softly and a blush creeps onto his cheeks. Soda smiles at the boy.

"I see you are the boy who he likes," Soda says happily. "Did he ask you out?"

Johnny shakes his head slowly. The younger boy hasn't mentioned anything.

"N-no sir," Johnny says. "B-but I would like if he did."

"I bet he'll ask you out soon Johnathon," Soda says. "From how it sounded when he said he liked you, he was in love."

Johnny smiles a little more and nods his head. Soda ruffles his hair lightly.

"Well take care of him for me Johnathon," Soda says. "And keep watch out for Darry. He's in a funky mood and I'd hate for my little brother's lover to be hurt."

"Y-yes sir," Johnny says.

"Goodnight buddy," Soda says and walks out of the room, closing the door quietly.

Johnny turns to face Ponyboy again and closes his eyes. He finally falls asleep.

-  -  -  -  -

How was this?

Oof, an update?! Sorry it took almost a month!

Writers block was strangling me and inspiration was slow. All the nice comments helped me so much working up a chapter.

I hope you guys enjoyed this! 💖