t w o

Ponyboy walks in the house from school to hear crying coming from the bathroom, along with running water. He quietly sets his things down and walks there.

"Who's in the bathroom," Pony asks loud enough for the person to hear.

The crying quiets down and the water shuts off, the house growing quiet again. Ponyboy turns the handle slowly and peeks in.

"Johnathon," Ponyboy asks. "What's the matter?"

"I-it hurts so b-bad," Johnny whimpers out. "I-it hurts."

The younger boy steps into the bathroom, closing the door and looking at the boy in tears that was in front of him. He sees Johnny's hand in the sink, the skin bright red.

"What happened," Ponyboy asks worriedly.

"I-i burnt it real b-bad trying to cook a-again," Johnny says using his good hand to wipe his tears.

"Oh no," Ponyboy says softly. "Here... I'll fix it up and help finish dinner, alright?"

"O-okay Ponyboy," Johnny says sniffling. "B-but your brother m-might kill me for letting you h-help..."

"Ah he can go worry about something else," Ponyboy says. "Ever since we got you, Darry thinks he owns the house. He needs to take his royal, silver spoon out of his ass and open his eyes. People aren't meant to be owned."

Johnny looks at the younger boy with wide eyes. Ponyboy grabs the first aid kit and opens it.

"Why don't you leave," Ponyboy asks.

"C-cause I don't have m-money or a place," Johnny says. "H-here I get some food a-and a roof over m-my head."

"Good point," Pony murmurs. "And... Where do you usually sleep?"

"O-on a good day... O-on the floor by the w-washer... B-bad days... O-outside on the p-porch," Johnny explains as Ponyboy coats his hand in burn cream.

"Okay... I have an idea but we'll have to be careful," Ponyboy says. "Wanna hear it?"

"Y-yes please."

"Okay... So my brothers go to bed around ten and don't get up until seven am. Plan is, around 10:30, you sneak up to my room and hop in hed with me. I'll get you up before seven and you go downstairs to the laundry room until Darry goes and gets you," Ponyboy says. "Good?"

"A-are you sure about that? I-i don't want you in t-trouble."

"I'll be okay. My brothers know enough not to mess with me, they learned that," Ponyboy says wrapping Johnny's hand carefully. "And done."

Johnny smiles softly and looks at his hand, feeling the aching, burning feeling go away slowly. The younger boy puts the first aid kit back where he got it.

"C'mon, let's go finish up dinner," Ponyboy says opening the door and walking to the kitchen.

Johnny follows him with a smile and opens the freezer. Ponyboy grabs out something from the cupboard.

"T-thank you Ponyboy," Johnny says. "M-my hand feels much much b-better."

"It's no trouble, anything I can do to help you out," Pony says with a small laugh. "So what were you making?"

"I-i was trying to boil water for pasta and my sweater snagged on it and it spilled on my hand. I shifted my body away so my legs didn't get too much."

"Alright. I'll get some more water on the stove."

Ponyboy takes the pot and goes to the sink, turning on the faucet and filling up the pot. He takes the pot and turns off the faucet, placing it on the burner and turning it on.

Johnny leans back against the counter and looks at his hand carefully, looking at the bandaging. Ponyboy smiles softly at him.

"The plan starts tonight. Just come up the stairs once you know my brothers are in bed."

-  -  -  -  -

How was this?

Chemistry is happening and I'm one happy child! 😂

I hope you guys love this!