Chapter Four

York was one of the few cities that was not totally destroyed during the nuclear fallout that had almost ended the world. When the Last Great War ended in the early twenty-first century, small clusters of people gathered together to survive the initial shockwaves of the fallout.

It took several generations before people traveled out of their sheltered homes and villages to explore what was beyond their safe walls. After a few decades, people reconnected. They traded goods and saw each other as friends rather than enemies. A civilization sprouted out of the rubble of the old world. With the growth of civilization and government, the need to return to how people lived once before became a passion.

New York City was the largest city in the old United States. It seemed fit that York would be the first city to be rebuilt. The workers cleaned the city the best they could with clearing of rubble, mending old buildings and skyscrapers, and creating an energy source so the city could live under lights once again.

It took two decades to remodel York. With my experience in York, I had assumed they had done the entire city. But I learned that was not the case.

"So, there's Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island," I said.

"It's The Bronx but yeah," Ben said across from me. We sat in the back of the van on the floor since there weren't vehicle chairs to sit in.

Blair sat in the passenger seat as Gary, the Royal Guard, drove the van. He and Ted, the other Royal Guard, were our aides to the mission. Ted and Commander Martin hovered behind Gary and Blair while the van bounced down the street.

"They started with Manhattan when they rebuilt." I turned my attention back to Ben when he spoke. "The rebuild continued into The Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn but they were not finished."

"Why stop?" I asked.

"Because York is big. Bigger than what you think. They did the parts they thought were necessary. The rest of York had to fend for itself. That's where we are going, to the Outskirts."

I looked at the rest of the van. Metal desks were attached to the van's walls. Computers, monitors, and metal boxes and shelves were bolted down. Chairs were folded and stored below one of the desks.

Alec sat in the middle of the van, his back against latched drawers. He had been quiet all day. He only spoke when spoken too. It was very un-Alec-like.

Ben nudged my leg. His grey eyes met mine. There was a silent question in them but I shook my head. There was no need to tell him I felt uneasy about this whole thing. I thought I was ready but now...

"Hey," Ben said so only I could hear. His hand rested on my ankle. "Nervous?"

Yes and no. Nerves ate at me because Ben wouldn't be at my side. He had become a crutch. At this point, I knew him. Knew the way his body moved when he fought, his thought process, and the way he handled situations.

With Alec, I knew none of that. Well, I knew he had a strong punch and he is somewhat bright with how he saved Audrey from those rebels months back.

In response to Ben, I shrugged.

The van rolled to a halt. Martin turned back to us. "Alec and Mel, this is your stop."

The three of us stood. My hands were sweaty. I pulled at my fingers and cracked them. It was a nervous tick I had developed somewhere. All we had to do was watch a weapon exchange of two groups. No fighting, no talking, just a long sitting period while we watch people.

"Hey, here you guys go." Blair stepped toward me. She tilted my head so my ear was toward her. She placed an earpiece there and did the same with Alec. "Now we are connected to you two. There is a microphone too so we have full communication both ways."