25) The Tea Cup

Lena
-

After talking with my mom I went downstairs to make myself a cup of tea. I needed it after the exhausting day that was today. As I made my tea my mind trailed off thinking about my father and his absence in my life. Not that I'm not greatful for my mother and all she's done for me but, I still feel the need to get to know my dad.

"I was beginning to think you weren't coming back." Darren used to the wall to walk up beside me.

I smiled tiredly at him. "sorry, I just got carried away. Would you like me to make you one?" I offered.

He shook his head. "no thanks, I'm more of a coffee drinker."

"At night?" I raised a brow.

He chuckled. "yes, it's delicious at night too."

"Won't it keep you up?" I asked sipping my tea.

He shrugged. "I don't sleep much anyways."

"Why not? Is the bed not comfortable?" I furrowed my brows. "Or the blankets? I can change the blankets." I started walking to the closet to get a change of sheets.

"No, that's not it." He placed a hand on my shoulder to stop me. "everything is perfect I promise."

"Talk to me, what's wrong?" I asked.

He shook his head. "you have your own things that you're dealing with. You don't need my problems."

"Daren, just talk to me. It'll distract me from my problems... Please?" I begged.

He sighed. "I haven't been able to sleep since the accident, I get these terrible nightmares of the crash and it keeps me up."

"But, I've seen you sleep..." I said confused.

He shook his head. "I just pretend so you don't worry."

"Why didn't you just tell me?" I asked.

"It's not your problem to fix okay? Im a big boy. I can deal with it." He said.

"You shouldn't have to." I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him into a soft hug.

He sighed hugging me back

He sighed hugging me back. "I'm not used to having someone care."

"Well I care, so get used to it." I burried my face in his chest.

"Hello Daren." My mother's voice calls out from behind. I pull away and look at her.

"Oh, hello Mrs Gomez." He nods respectfully. "I'm sorry for imposing, I'll be out of here soon."

She shook her head. "don't worry about that, just focus on getting better. Until then you can stay in the guest room."

I grinned. "really mom?"

"Don't get too excited. I still don't approve of your relationship but I can't force you to do anything. But if he's to stay here, there's going to be rules."