06

"Hey, are we interrupting?" I ask, while pulling Marcos into John's office area

"No, I was just thinking." He answers, turning around in his office chair.

"Tate and I, called around about Pulse. Now, nothing firm, but there are rumors of mutants hunting other mutants for sentinel services." Marcos explains. "Pulse may not be the only one."

"We are barely staying ahead of humans. If they turn us against each other, we're done." John sighs. "Anything more about the federal building in Baton Rouge?"

"Yeah. We checked it out. Major mutant justice center for the southeast. Reed Strucker worked with a judge there, so the guy might have info on the program. If we can get in, we might be able to figure out what the hells going on." Marcos sits down on the opposite side of the desk..

"You mean break in?" John asks.

"Well, they're not exactly gonna roll out the welcome mat for us." Marcos says. "Look, John, I know this isn't how we usually do things, but-"

"I don't care. What they did to Pulse, they changed their game. Maybe it's time we changed ours." John says, getting up.

"Hey." I wave to Clarice, as I walk into the vault room.

"Hey." She says, a bit more unenthusiastic than usual. "So, you and me...we haven't really been best friends since we were ten, have we?" She asks. I was hoping to avoid this conversation for a few more weeks.

"No...we haven't." I sigh. "I was actually the one who told Sonya not to mess around in your head at all."

"But she did, and you knew about it all this time and decided not to say anything about it." Clarice says, and I can tell she's upset.

"There wasn't anything I could do, she'd already done it once I found out."

"I just want to know, since you people are so big on honesty around here...did you even like me? Did you even want to be my friend at all? Or were you just using me to get back your Lorna?" She asks, her voice rising.

"Are you serious right now? Of course I did, and I still do. You're an amazing person, and I think we could be great friends." I say, and she just gets up from her spot on the couch. "Where are you going?"

"I just need some time to myself." She walks into one of her own portals, disappearing and leaving me alone in the vault room.

"Hey, John wants a meeting in 10. So come on." I say, once finding Lorna sitting on the arm of a chair on the first floor.