Chapter 1: Joining the Army

I remember it like it was yesterday. The way the Imperial Warriors burst in our calm village. Their clanging armours, their serious faces. The way they knocked at our door, in the middle of the day.

My dad opened the door. Two Water Warriors stormed inside. A general and a captain. One of them had a scar, running through his face. The general snapped his fingers, cold glimmer in in his eyes.
The captain opened the scroll he had in his hand, and started reading.

"The Emperor calls all the male sons of his Empire. People over 70 will not be allowed to join. The threat of the Phoenixes has started, as predicted. We ask your help. Who joins will receive the amount of 1,000 Kichis. "

My mum and I looked at each other.
My dad turned to looked at us as well. My brother had made us so poor to not be able to pay rice. His love and passion for gambling had made his life hell. After having finished his money, he came begging for ours. My parents had agreed, making us poor.
1,000 Kichis would have been really useful. But the only male in our family able to go would be my brother. My dad having lost the use of one leg in the previous war. My brother would never fight. So I decided to do something.
My mum and dad not deserving to die in poverty.

I stood up. "General, my brother is working on the fields. He will be coming back later today. He will come and sign up for war." I said. Trying to make my face relaxed.

The general nodded. "You will be able to pick up the reward as soon as your brother will lift the pen from the paper. After having written his name."

I nodded and bowed down. Being poor didn't meant being impolite. My mum bowed down as well. The guards left.

As soon as the doors closed, my mum rushed to me. Her black hair strayed with grey. She slapped my cheek. I felt pain bloom on my cheek.

"Mother?" I asked. Sadness painting my voice. Her hanfu was brown and old. Her face wrinkled.

"What have you done?!" My dad limped next to her. His bamboo crutch clanking against the wood. "Stay calm Hisae."
My mother turned to him, tears streaming down her face. "But, our only male son will never go to war! We will be executed for speaking lies!"

I stepped closer to my parents. "I know that." They both turned around.

"That's why, I'll go in his place."

After many arguments and tears, it was decided. I would go to war. My mum had hugged me tight and repeated over and over again she loved me and was sorry. I had hugged her tight. My dad had come closer and hugged me tight as well.
"I'll help you prepare my love." My mum said. She dried her tears.

We walked in the small living room. Grandma's old mirror laid in the corner.

I walked in, followed by my parents. My mum untied my hair from the bun usually wore, and let it cascade down my back. She started brushing it with a green comb.

My dad waited in the side. His warm eyes watching me.

After that my mum had made my hair free of all tangles, she grabbed a pair of scissors.

"Do not worry Keiko. Your hair is not that long. I will only shorten it a bit."

With those words she cut my hair. From my shoulder blades, it come to my shoulders. She then tied them up in a bun.

I stared at myself.

My hair was now in a bun. It was a silky black. My eyes were brown. Gold in the sunlight. My nose was small and perfect. My lips plump and red. My skin was pale and delicate. I didn't know how I would seem a boy. I was considered one of the most beautiful in the village.

My dad then smiled. "You're so pretty, Keiko. I will never get sick of saying it."

I laughed. Even though it was out of place. My throat seemed dry.
"I hope so."

My mum then got up. "Now, we need to change. Dad," She said. "Get out."
My dad laughed. "Okay, okay." He said laughing. He limped outside.

As my mum took my kimono off, I started crying silent tears. My mum dried my tears. "Do not worry my love. You're strong and intelligent. You will live. I'm sure of it."

I nodded, even though I couldn't stop crying.

My mum took some bandages and started wrapping my chest with them. I had to hide me being a girl and this was the only way.

After having cut them off, my mum opened the old, red wardrobe. She pulled out a red armour.
She looked at it nostalgically.

"This was the armour of your dad when he was young. He fought bravely in it. And so will you."

I nodded. She slipped it on me. The katana dangled at my sword.
My mum dried a tear.

"My sweet girl has become a warrior."
I blushed. Mum then opened the door and dad walked in. His eyes became wet. "If you can," He sniffled. "Write letters."
I nodded. Tears escaped my eyes.
"I love you mum and dad!" I yelled, throwing my arms around them. They both hugged me tight.

We then headed towards the sign ups. Long tables rested underneath fiery red tents. A water drop sewn on them. The sign of the Water Warriors.
Very long lines of men and young men were in front of the tables.
Rough looking generals were sitting at the tables.

I lined up in a shorter line. My mum and dad went to the side to wait.

The line shortened. My heart beat faster. My hands became sweaty.

I don't want to go into the army. I thought. My vision became darker. The shadows longer.

The table finally came into view as the middle aged man in front of me left.
A long scroll was on the table. It also curled to the floor.

I got closer. The general handed me a pen. I felt my heart skip a beat. The thoughts of death and evil stung my mind.

"Write!" The general roared, bringing me back to earth. I jolted and grabbed the pen.

I dipped in the ink and wrote my new name. I felt like a part of me was gone. A new name was something that made you different.

After I lifted the pen, the general grabbed the scroll. I was surprised my hand hadn't shaken. I felt tears prick my eyes. But I pulled them back. Boys don't cry.

The general looked at my writing raising an eyebrow. "Girly handwriting m'boy. I hope you don't act like one."

I stayed expressionless.

The general read aloud, "Meilin Shoge. Correct?" He asked.

"Yes-I mean yes." I had started with my normal voice. I then lowered it. The general didn't seem to notice he handed me the bag of money and showed me away.

As I walked back to my parents. I felt my life shatter and morf into something else. I was really scared. My heart almost broke.

I was officially in the Water Warriors.
I was officially in the army.