Day 20

I couldn't do anything too exerting in case I upset my stitches from the surgery on my stomach.

It didn't stop me from coming to you and asking to go on a hike together.

You were getting ready for school, but the moment I asked you, you instantly began to change.

"Oh, Jimin, no," I laughed. "I didn't mean for you to ditch school."

"You asked me for a hike, baby, and I'm giving one to you," you laughed, planting a quick kiss on my forehead before you headed to the bathroom to change.

Soon, you were ready, and we both snuck downstairs where your mother was busy doing dishes. You had grabbed your backpack and then we were racing out the door and towards your car.

You drove us to a trail that you told me was your favorite. We parked along the street, right in front of the trailhead. You emptied out your school belongings from your backpack so we could use it for water and some food, and I caught a glimpse of a small '2018' planner.

I smiled softly as I saw it briefly.

You already had a 2018 planner ready to go for next year didn't you?

My mom had bought me a 2018 planner earlier this year; before we found out there would never be a 2018 for me.

I wonder where that planner is now.

"Let's go," you shot me a smile and we both headed out.

It was still morning and the air was cool with the cicadas chirruping in the trees. Bird songs erupted here and there as they flitted above us before disappearing to their hidden homes in the red leaves. The trail was a carpet of fallen leaves, and there were a few trees already that were bare, but still other trees that were filled with green leaves.

September was beautiful.

The trail was pretty smooth and was about two miles there and back again. You showed me the squirrels scurrying towards their trees with their little mouths stuffed with nuts and seeds to store for winter. You pointed out the fish in the waters and we challenged to see who could find the most fish.

You found 4.

I found 5.

We had gotten to the end of the trail: a beautiful waterfall. You took my picture there, and then took a selfie with me. Then we began to head back as the noon sun began to beat down on us.

I had begun to grow tired already.

Damn this disease.

I couldn't walk the last mile, do you remember?

I was exhausted and sweating. Trembling.

You didn't hesitate to pick me up on your back and walk the last mile with me on your back.

You carried me the rest of the way, Park Jimin.