DBD | chapter 8

Chapter 8:

Wake up?

How I wish I could wake up from this horrible nightmare.

I followed the light at the end of the hallway, down the staircase which grew with the smelling scent of sage. I hurried down, skipping steps trying to catch up to Cody. I slipped on the last couple of concrete steps and fumbled forward onto him.

"Are you okay?" He asked with only a slight bit of sincerity before switching his face to a look of disapproval. I nodded my head in response, looking onward to see Cassie and Thomas a few steps ahead of us.

In front of them is a large circle hoop that is propped up large pillars. In the middle is a small raised stone platform, also circular.

"Where do you wish to go?" A female voice called from a distance. She appeared from the dark corner of the room. Her dark colored hair was pulled back into a low ponytail which reached the back of her knees. Like the woman upstairs she was slender and tall. Her eyes were like a snake's, and bright red to match the flowing long dress she wore with silver beading.

"We wish safe passage to Equimar," Cassie replied, taking a seat on her legs in front of the platform. The woman smiled, and looked down at her without moving her head down. She moved to the top of the platform, sitting down with her legs on the side. I could see that her skin shone like red scales as her bare foot extended out.

"What do you have to offer?" The gatekeeper asked, looking at all of us. "Come take a seat," she added. I could feel her gaze as I moved in front of her, the way her eyes slowly blinked every minute to show her slit pupil. In front of the platform I now saw a small statue which held burning incense and some crab apples. Hanging from her neck were several strands of gold necklaces, holding various golden charms and jewels.

"Protection from the Dark King by the council." Cassandra answered. She pushed her frizzy hair behind her ear, the crystal glinting in the warm light.

"I do not need protection. I am a gatekeeper, anyone ridiculous enough to threaten that is a fool, and the Dark King is no fool," she spoke. She leaned back and rolled her neck. I bit my tongue in attempt to stop myself from reacting.

"But he is merciless." Cody added.

"What do you offer," she asked again as she watched the ceiling, her various pieces of jewelry clanking.

"I offer you a favor, as a high witch to excuse your crimes from the council." Cassandra bowed her head.

"Your favors mean nothing to me." The gatekeeper sneered. "What do you offer," she said again with more agitation. The heat around us grew and Thomas fished the flower from his glass, throwing it to the side. He drank the rest of his drink.

"We didn't come here to play games, witch," Thomas glares. She whipped her head down to watch him. I studied his movement, watching him grow tense and stiff the more he looked at her. Cassandra puts her hand on Cody, as if to tell him he shouldn't have said that despite not saying a thing at all.

"I don't open gates without a price. Don't waste my time, what do you offer," she asked once again. She put her hands together and cupped them as if she were holding water in them, trying to catch the raindrops.

There was a ringing in my ears as I waited for someone to respond, the quiet, deafening. I placed my shaking hands under me, to calm my nerves as my body continued to crash.

"What is your price," Cassandra said softly. She took a deep breath and held it. The gatekeeper grinned, her lips extending unnatural deep into her cheeks as clapped her hands together.