DBD | chapter 2

Chapter 2:

We reach the edge of a soccer field and started walking across it to a strip of concrete that laid under the bleachers. People were placed at the end of the fields near soccer goals, green and yellow flags around their waist. They were all wearing matching attire, green shorts, and white tees plastered with the school mascot. It was a beaver with furrowed eyebrows, mean beady eyes, and a straight mouth, buck teeth popping out. Under it were the words 'Belmont Beavers Here To Win! Win! Win!' in gold and green. 

The dewy, cold grass started to soak through my shoes. Some of the people in English class were out in the field, PE must be a four-year thing here in this school.

"Is PE a four-year thing?" I asked to confirm my thought. I looked at Cody, covering my eyes with my hand to block out the blinding morning sun.

"Yes. Our school takes PE very seriously, its like an extra practice for our sports. You don't have to take it but most people do since its part of the school environment," he replies. I think that's the first I've ever heard of a school having PE all four years.

We take a turn to the back of the school where I could see an auditorium, football field, and inside the gyms: a basketball court that were so shined, it could mirror your reflection. This school is nice compared to other schools I've seen, or been to.

"Well, I can tell your not really a sporty person so I'll skip this part of the tour," Cody said, walking past all the sports area of the school and I think even a little hall that was dedicated to all the wins they had. I didn't protest.

"In that little nook between the gyms and that unmarked building is the lockers rooms. And behind the locker rooms is an indoor pool," Cody explained, pointing to buildings that could be it. I wasn't exactly sure where he was pointing.

We walked up to a court area with tables and benches. Through a pair of double doors that were painted green, more tables inside with pull-out chairs in bright colors of orange, blue, and yellow.

"This is the cafeteria, most people don't sit in here except for the clubs that aren't sports, like film club, and freshmen if they are planning on going into drama or something. I'm not exactly sure what goes down in here, but I know enough that it's boring." Cody shrugged.

"What if it's raining, or cold?" I asked him, pulling out a blue chair from under a white top table and sat down. Cody took his place in front of me, the chair the color of a fire truck.

"We sit up in the hallways, sit in our favorite classrooms, or just sit on the covered patios, which is out there." Cody pointed outside the large windows which line up the side of one wall. We continued out of the back door, to the patio, which led us back into the main entrance: large staircase to the second story classrooms and the office.

"Hey, Cody, what are you doing out of class?" Someone demanded him from the office window.

"Just skipping class," he joked, looking over at the person and winking.

"Well, you're lucky I don't write you up in front of this young lady," she nodded, turning back around to her computer and chewing pink bubble gum in her mouth. She had a quirky head scarf on, her brown, curly hair puffing up all around it.

Cody turned and said in my ear, "That's MeMe she's probably one of the nicest people here besides Ms. Day, so if you ever get in trouble talk to her." Noted.

We continued down the hall and passed a giant glass case displayed with some trophies. "#1 Freshman Football Champions," one of the trophies said carved on the gold colored plate. Next to the trophy, a large picture with freshman boys all huddled together, smiling and laughing. In the photo, I could see Cody. He was holding the trophy over his head as the coach gleamed at him. I stopped to study some of the other pictures around it, and a school article taped in a frame.