The Broken One (Part III)

Start from the beginning

"Yes, sir!" the boy said, running off to find Gin.

"Is it wise to let them in your house like that?" Trinket asked as Booker led her up the street towards the center. "You're not worried they'll rob you?"

"No, especially not with Gin around," Booker said. "I've earned the loyalty of these children. They'd never take anything from me that I did not offer them. Come on. I can't wait for you to experience the fine dining the Clocktower is known for."

~

The serving girl set down two bowls of stew in front of Booker and Trinket. "Enjoy," she said, turning to help another table.

Trinket eyed the stew suspiciously before setting her gaze on Booker. She cocked an eyebrow, and he flashed her a teasing smile. "All right, so perhaps it's not exactly fine dining, but it tastes better than it looks, I assure you," he said.

Leaving her stew untouched, Trinket gazed about at her surroundings, her eyes passing over the various clocks adorning the walls. "You really come here to eat?" she asked.

"You grow accustomed to the atmosphere," he said as he stirred his stew. "And I find I enjoy the lively conversation."

Her attention returned to the boisterous room, taking in the smoke and laughter and the odd collection of rogues and drunks. He watched her curiously until a familiar face passed by their table.

"Ah, Orpha, how are you tonight?" he asked the woman.

She stopped and gave a sharp smile as she lifted her chin up high to look down on him. "You're not getting me caught up in this wolf business, Booker Larkin. Last time I tried to get information for you, I nearly lost a finger."

"Come now, you know I could've fixed you right up if any harm was done."

"Fingers and hands, perhaps, but not slit throats. Find yourself another informant, Dr. Larkin."

Despite her firm refusal, she shot him a sly grin before sauntering off to a table of loud, drunk men and sitting herself in the lap of the most inebriated one of the bunch.

Trinket turned her attention to him and raised her eyebrows. "So it's not the food you come here for."

He shrugged. "I do have to eat, but I'll confess that I prefer the Clocktower for its talkative patrons. Some of the more notorious folks find their way here, as do bored servants. It's one of the prime locations for collecting information," he said as he took a spoonful of stew.

"Is collecting information so dangerous that people may lose body parts?"

He grinned. "Information is a valuable commodity, my dear. People lose their lives over it."

Trinket looked down at her stew and hesitantly sampled a bite. Booker tried to keep from smiling as he watched her consider the taste before taking another spoonful. After swallowing down the second, she looked back up at him.

"So is that what Gin does? Brings you information?" she asked.

"Yes, she's my best source. The best pickpocket, too, I might add."

"How many sources do you have?"

"Oh, plenty. After two years here, I've learned my way around the servants and street folk quite well. I'm very charming and persuasive."

He gave her a wink and was slightly disappointed when he got no reaction.

"So you have mutant wolves wandering about the city often enough that you need that many informants?" she asked.