Chapter 7: Love At First Sight

Gil yawned as he leaned back in the chair with his feet on the table. It was the same chair that he had sat on while having that productive talk with Medea. The only difference being that it had already been five whole days since then.

Right now, he was bored out of his mind. He had already explored most of the interesting places in the village and unless he wanted to toil on the farmlands, there was nothing left for him to do. And for someone who was used to having constant distractions at the tip of his fingers, this situation was complete torture. He couldn't even play CoG right now because it would be a huge hassle if someone saw him fiddling with a mysterious metallic object.

He yawned again and shifted himself into a more comfortable position. For being a supposed vampire lair, Medea's manor sure had some nice chairs. The bed was also quite comfortable, with a soft mattress and curtains surrounding the bedframe, giving him some much-needed privacy. What were these fancy beds called again?

"Canopy beds," Figment said with a lethargic tone.

"Thanks, encyclopedia kid," Gil said with a smile. At least he wasn't alone in his suffering.

His gaze drifted towards the only other person in the room, Brigit. She was one of the locals hired by Medea to maintain the mansion and keep it presentable. Her duties included everything from cleaning the manor to cooking their food and even taking care of the sick Lord, named Fithel.

Even though Brigit spent the majority of her time at the manor, Medea was strangely adamant about not letting her stay here. She had also dismissed all the other servants Lord Fithel used to keep around, and it was one of the first things she had done upon arriving in this village.

As for the lack of guards, the lord never felt it was necessary and Medea didn't see it as a worthwhile investment to hire any. Well, it's not like she could hire any even if she wanted to. Any man capable enough to stand on own legs had already been conscripted by the army and the only men left behind were either old, crippled or just too young to carry iron spears or swords.

He had been curious about that whole conscription event, but as he had expected, asking Medea had led nowhere. All he managed to get out of her mouth was that the kingdom required more men for the war. As for what the significance of this war was, she replied with her signature, "I do not know."

The indifference demonstrated by the kingdom and the higher-ups involved honestly surprised him. They might just have condemned an entire village to gradual destruction, but as long as they got some cannon fodder to fight in their war, they couldn't care less about such matters.

Medea didn't appear very concerned either, but then again he had not seen her care about anything in the first place.

Brigit must have noticed his excessive ogling because she stopped what she was doing and flashed him a bright smile. He didn't need to read her mind to figure out what the smile implied.

He averted his gaze, suddenly aware of his mistake. A mistake he did not want to repeat.

Actually, he had a perfectly valid reason as to why he was loitering inside the vampire manor instead of staying at Almha's place.

Despite Medea's offer, Gil had kept his word to spend the night at Almha's humble abode.

But, much to his astonishment, Almha had expected a few things in return for her favour. It wasn't anything mundane like money or his help on the farm, no, the "things" she expected were related to how the night was to be spent.

So when a girl saunters into your room wearing clothes that reveal more skin than your average Hollywood actress, you know something has gone horribly wrong. But, you know the shit has hit the fan when that girl is hoping for something to pop out of her belly after nine months.