Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"WHAT THE WAFFLE??!"
Obviously Stephanie.

"Holy fucking shit that's fucking messed up like what the actual fuck that's not right! I mean... SHIT!"

Yeah, pretty clear too.

"I knew that conspiracy theory was true!", Tim exclaimed triumphantly, the only person in the room who wasn't mortified.

Drowning out the commotion, Damian braced himself for the mental torture that this explanation would bring- there was no turning back from here.

"Can you quieten down so we can explain?!", Damian ground out through clenched teeth.

Pointedly ignoring his father (having not even looked at him to gauge his reaction), Damian started...

***

"Wait so, let's get this straight. You guys have to... drink every once in a while to, like, keep sane and not, like, kill everyone but they just, like, kill and drink and stuff whenever but this council thing -which you guys hate for some reason- gives them blood in, like, bottles in exchange for them not killing people and drinking their blood.

I've got that right, right?", Barry concluded, stunning the room with deja vu.

"Um, I guess.", Adyn nodded.

"Pretty much.", Raven nodded.

"Mmm.", Damian nodded.

That summary, odd though it may be, was a fairly accurate summary. If only the Flash was more understandable and didn't speak at 150mph. It did make the issue less of an eminent danger than the three had explicitly made it.

"Oooookay... so, uh, are we done here?", Bluebeetle asked awkwardly: the endings of these 'meetings' were always awkward and uncomfortable, no one really knew what to say.

Of course, it was left in the hands of Batman to deal with these situations of non-surety.

Battling a wave of conflicted emotions, Bruce surveyed the room dramatically- a move he pulled all too often for it to be considered normal. Dick and Kori stood together, she with a hand involuntarily placed over her stomach. By the window, to their left, Hal, J'onn, Victor, Diana and Clarke were congregated, stances easy. Nearby, the Titans stood together, an unintentional sign of solidarity (one Wonderwoman found both symbolic and sweet).

"All of you may return to whatever you were doing beforehand.", Batman concluded quite uselessly powerfully.

Jason snorted at Bruce's antics, making his way over to Diana, his favourite Leaguer- she was so awesome!

He could always look to Wonderwoman for a friend and guide.
When Jason...when he died, Diana was heartbroken, she adored the mischievous young Robin- he always came to her with his troubles, laughing them away till called off by Bruce.

Coming back from the dead, Jason didn't know what to expect- shock?-anger? What he didn't anticipate was a harsh lecture about his 'crimes' as the Redhood, then being swept in to a bone-crushing hug of maternal affection.
Jason could still recall the way Diana held him like a mother to her lost child- something he had missed out on in his childhood.