28

"You know what i've realised? I hate people. I wanna go back to bed."

"Same," Alex comments and puts his sunglasses on.

We're at Leanne Riley's pool party – she has one every summer and everyone goes. Her family is mad rich and she lives in this amazing house with a pool, so every time her parents go jetting off to Europe, she throws this big party. She did it early this year since exams are finally over and everyone in her grade is graduating soon.

However Alex and I aren't exactly in the party mood – me with my boy drama and shitty negative mind completely, and him with his Amelia drama.

"Aren't you two a sight," Valentino says just after getting out of the pool.

"Don't splash me, I'm cold," I tell him, pushing into Alex on the sun lounger to avoid Val's wet body.

"Cause you're sittin' in the fuckin' shade." He moves the umbrella that was shading us, making Alex sigh but he seems too tired to bother arguing about it.

"Now it's too hot."

"Come in the pool."

"No."

"Why you bein' such a Debby downer? You love swimming and all that shit."

"I'm tired." I stare ahead at Jace in the water playing with a ball with some other people. He's showing off by heading the ball and doing tricks, making all the girls i've never seen before give him the flirty eyes.

Val sits down on the lounger and runs his hand through his wet hair, looking around until he sees Montana getting cosy with a really hot guy. He looks away, completely unbothered, then watches a girls ass as she walks past. Gross. Still, I envy that he doesn't have feelings for anyone. He doesn't need to feel this sort of pain; the pain of wanting something that you know isn't good for you.

Watching Jace again, I begin to wish he'd think of me right now. How is he having so much fun?

"I want attention," I blurt out, pouting.

"You only want his attention when he's not giving you it," Alex says, somehow knowing I'm thinking about Jace.

"True," I mumble.

"Well, you know the best way to get someone's attention – make a scene." Val stands up and grabs my arm, pulling me up. I pull away from him and grab onto the lounger, yelling at him until he swoops me up in his arms and starts walking towards the edge of the pool.

"I will kill you!" I shout and hold onto his shoulders as tight as I can, but when he throws me I can't hold on and I fall into the water.

After doing the usual check to see if my bikini is still in place and moving my hair from my face, I give Valentino the finger.

He stands there laughing, looking so happy with himself until Max comes behind him and pushes him in.

"Uncool, dude!" Val complains and blows out his nose, having gotten water up it.

"Love you, Maxy," I wink, laughing.

"Absolute betrayal," Val shakes his head.

"Hey, I stick by the person I came out the womb with." Max jumps in and Val straight away dunks his head under the water.

I jump on Val's back which makes him let go of Max, but it backfires because he purposely falls on his back, making us both go under water.

Someone grabs my arms and pulls me up so my heads out from under the water. I rub the chlorine out of my eyes, then freeze when I hear Jace's voice.