Prologue

Lux

"What the fuck did you just say to me?" my father screamed at me. He grabbed a fistful of my brown hair and slammed me against the hard concrete wall.

"Happy birthday you stupid little slut." He let go of me and left my dark room, locking the door.

"I hate you!" I whimpered, clenching my fists. I curled up in a ball in the corner of the room, shivering. The unpainted walls made me feel bare, and disgusting. There was no light, only the cold moon that shone through the single window in my room.

And then an idea hit me. If I left, I could leave the horror and the pain behind.

I desperately make my way to the window, unlocking it and pushing it up. Serves that bastard right. I swung my right leg over, trying not to look down at the long, sharp drop I would soon have to make. I shakily pulled my other leg over and gripped tightly to the window sill. I took a deep breath, and climbed down the grapevines that hung down the creamy coloured wall. Just as I was about to step on the top of the window below me, I misplaced my footing then slipped and fell on wet grass underneath me. I put my fist in my mouth to try and stop me from screaming as I winced in pain.

I stood up and rubbed my dirty palms on my black skinny jeans, then continued to make my way out of the lonely street. As I rounded the corner I saw two dark figures, both of them smoking small cigarettes, standing in front of a booming house-party. Trying to look confident, I strutted up to them. They looked like college students, tall, clean-looking, and really hot.

"Hey," I said rather flirtatiously. The boy on the left checked me out. I had developed early like my Mom, big boobs and a nice round butt was pretty rare for a thirteen year old. Well, only just thirteen really.

"Hey babe," he said, "I'm Phil, this is Mike." He pointed to the guy with the bright blue eyes.

"I'm Lux." I looked at the joint. "Can I have a smoke?" Phil nodded and gave me his, staring straight at my revealing boobs.

I put the cigarette in my mouth and take a long suck in. It tasted gross, like a stale pumpkin. Not that I know what that tastes like. I coughed as the smoke tickled my throat.

"How old are ya hun?" Mike asked.

"16," I replied quickly. A smile spread across both of their faces. They looked about 19, I felt vulnerable knowing that they were much older than me.

Mike stepped closer to me, he smelt disgusting. "Do you wanna come in?" he asked softly.

"Ok," I replied staring into his beautiful eyes. He was manipulative, I could tell. He was like my father. He would make me feel good then make me do something awful. Mike wrapped his arm around my waist and invited me in.

The rest of the night was a blur. But I did remember some things.

I got so drunk I lost my virginity to someone I hardly knew.

I tried cocaine, marijuana, and ecstasy.

I robbed a store for condoms.

And I nearly killed myself by simply dancing naked.

For another three years this will just be another depressing day for Lux Grey.