100 ~ The Unexpected Visitor

Harry sat there, aware that every head in the Great Hall had turned to look at him. He looked stunned. There was no applause. A buzzing, as though of angry bees, was starting to fill the Hall; some students were standing up to get a better look at Harry as he sat, frozen, in his seat.

Up at the top table, Professor McGonagall had got to her feet and swept past Ludo Bagman and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Professor Dumbledore, who bent his ear toward her, frowning slightly.

Harry turned to Ron, Emma, Venus, and Hermione; beyond them, Emma knew everyone at the Gryffindor had their eyes on him, openmouthed.

"I didn't put my name in," Harry said blankly. "You know I didn't."

His four friends stared just as blankly back.

At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," Hermione whispered, giving Harry a slight push.

Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. Every single person in the Hall had their eyes trained on him. He reached Dumbledore, and still not one person had made a sound except for Dumbledore himself.

"Well...through the door, Harry," said Dumbledore. He wasn't smiling.

Harry moved off along the teachers' table. Hagrid was seated right at the end. He did not wink at Harry, or wave, or give any of his usual signs of greeting. He looked completely astonished and stared at Harry as he passed like everyone else. Harry went through the door out of the Great Hall. Once it shut, everyone in the Hall burst into a swarm of voices, some cheering, some angry, but most just astonished.

"Quiet!" shouted Dumbledore above the noise. The chatter died down. "Prefects, if you would lead your Houses back to your common rooms, please? It seems we have something to discuss."

Once the teachers and guests had disappeared through the door Harry and the other champions had gone through, the Prefects lept into action, directing their Houses out of the Hall. Emma, Venus, Hermione, Ron, Seamus, and Dean all discussed Harry's entering quietly as they followed the rest of the Gryffindors.

"He couldn't have done it, especially not by himself," Emma said.

"Then how did his name come out of the goblet?" Ron asked.

"Maybe someone else put it in as a joke... I don't know, Ron."

"Seems to me he did it, and didn't expect to get picked."

Hermione scoffed. "Didn't you see his face, Ronald? Harry looked absolutely terrified."

"Exactly my point. He didn't expect to get chosen."

Seamus shook his head. "That's not what Hermione meant, mate. Harry had no idea his name was in that cup."

"Harry doesn't want that kind of attention," pointed out Venus. "He's wanted to escape from the spotlight the moment it was thrust upon him."

"Honestly, Ron, he's your best friend," said Dean. "Don't you trust him?"

Ron glared. "Would you believe Seamus if it was his name that came out of the goblet and he said he hadn't put it in? What about Emma? Would you believe her?"

Dean stared into Ron's eyes, the ghost of a glare threatening to become visible. "Of course I would. Seamus would never lie to me. And Emma would never enter anyway. Neither would Harry."