nine

"Um - should I come back later?"

Namjoon and Nana broke apart to see Marcy by the open door.

"I realized the key was gone. I had a feeling Namjoon took it," Marcy said. "I'll just leave you two at it."

She left shortly later, softly shaking her head with a smile.

Namjoon and Nana stared at each other before breaking into a fit of giggles.

"That was so embarrassing," Nana whispered.

"What, her seeing us make out with each other?" Namjoon questioned. "It wasn't that bad. I'm positive we weren't sucking each other's faces, so it couldn't have been that bad."

Nana rolled her eyes. "Wow, that makes me feel so much better."

Namjoon chuckled before staring at the small window. "What if... What if we ran away? What if we just disappear and never come back?"

Nana looked at him with wide eyes. "What? Are you insane? We won't get far."

"You living here with your estranged mother isn't going to get you far in life - or undead life, I guess. Me living here with your mother who murdered my family isn't going to get me far either. I want you to come with me, Nana," Namjoon pleaded.

"I..."

Nana loved her mother - sort of. Marcy took much better care of her than her own mother did. Nana's mother enjoyed leaving for long periods of time to hunt humans rather than take care of her own daughter.

As a child, Nana was elated when her mother would return from a "business trip." Now, as an adult, she knew what her mother was truly doing. She grew accustomed to her mother's carefree, flirtatious, and conniving personality.

She didn't like it, but that was her mother. Her mother who seemed so loving in the past, but Nana knew it was only because she was a child - too young to understand how the world worked.

Her mother had always been like that. After all, vampires were monsters.