Chapter 18

SAM'S POV

 "Wake up call!" I jump as the nurse pokes her head in "Breakfast in the dining room in 15!"

 The clock in a cage above my bed reads 8am.

 With a sigh, I crawl out of bed and get dressed in my a white shirt and the patient pants. Today is my first date here. I've yet to meet anyone besides the orderlies.

 After I get dressed, I walk down the hall and into the dining room. Instantly, all eyes are on me. Then, all eyes are on my bandaged arms.

 "Another Sleeping With Sirens fan." one girl sneers, before continuing to talk to the wall like it's a person.

 With a sigh, I walk to the corner of the room and sit at an empty table. This is going to be one hell of a stay.

~

 "Sam Winchester?" a nurse asks during rec time. I look to him and he walks over "It's time that we change those bandages." he states, before ordering "Follow me."

 Silently, we walk down the hall to the medical examiners office. Once inside, he points to the table and I climb up "Not much for talking, huh?" I shake my head as he peels off the bandages "Got anything to do with your pop?"

 When I give him a weird look, he sighs "I've read your file." he clears his throat "I never liked your father. Not after Dean ran these halls."

 I wince as he wipes the stitches with an alcohol pad "Yeah, your brother walked around this place like he owned it. Got in fights daily." I shrug and he looks down at me "I'm guessing you're nothing like Dean?" he takes one look at me and shakes his head "Yeah, you're not."

 After he's done, he clears his throat "It's almost time for lunch." with a sigh, I jump off the bed and start towards the door "Sam?" I stop and look back at him "Do you want someone to sit with?"

~

 "Hey Sammy." Dean smiles weakly as we walk towards the car. I give one back.

 It's not until we get into the car that he clears his throat "Do you mind if I ask what caused this?"

 I hold up my hands and sign "My friend, Meg, she died." he gives an apologetic look, before I continue "I knew she had problems with cutting, but she didn't show the signs of someone about to end it all. No showing emotions. She ate. She didn't say goodbye. Didn't even text me."

 "Did you eat lunch that day?" Dean asks and I nod "Gabe said you were distance. You ate. Didn't say goodbye or text anyone."

 I think for a second, before signing "You're comparing me to her?" he nods somberly and I sigh "Makes sense I guess."

 "Come on, let's go home." He starts up to car as Jack starts to his shift. He was the only person I sat with during my time here. Doesn't help that he's the nurse "Hey, I know that guy." Dean smiles "He was a nurse when I was here."

 I nod and he shrugs, before we pull away.

~

 As we walk into the house, I freeze. Through the sliding glass back door, I see a burn barrel with what looks like my bed frame hanging out of it. Fire rises from the barrel. When I point it out, Dean sighs "I burnt the bed frame, the blanket and the carpet."

 "The carpet?" I ask through signing and he shrugs. As I walk up the stairs, I half expect for my room to be bare.

 But I'm mistaken. The carpet has been replaced, along with the bedding. The carpet is now grey. The bedding is black on a black metal bed frame. My walls are now a nice shade of grey. My door was been replaced with one with no lock. My CDs have been put back in my room and my ceiling fan is back up.

 Dean leans against the doorframe "Had to replace the carpet." he states and I point to the CDs "Figured if you could get your hands on a knife, what would we prevent by holding your discs?"

 I shrug and we stand there for a minute, before I sign "Mom home?"

 "No." he states "Her retreat is actually three weeks instead of one." he sighs "I didn't tell her..." I give him a questionable look and he shrugs "Didn't want to worry. We'll tell her when she gets back."

 After a sigh, I step into the room and start towards the closet. Dean sits on the bed while I change into my regular clothes. Blue jeans and a flannel.

 When I'm done, he lays my wallet, my phone and my keys down on the bed "Suppose you'd like those back."

 Instantly, I pick up my phone and turn it on "Is Gabe at school?" I ask, but then my phone reads Saturday "Is Gabe at home?"

 Dean sighs "Michael and Lucifer took him out to clear his mind. He doesn't know that you're discharged."

 I nod and pocket my keys and wallet, before plugging in my phone and leaving the room. Dean follows shortly behind "Are you hungry? I can order a couple pizzas."

 I give a weak smile and he picks up his phone.

 Thirty minutes later, we spread out on couch, watching a movie while eating pizza "Question." Dean says, randomly "When Cas and I walked in on Gabe and you, was that your getting your cherry popped?"

 I nod and he chuckles "So, what's it like?" hr asks, brushing my hair with his fingers "Sleeping with a crippled guy."

 I give him a bitchface, before signing the truth "Very tiring." I state "It kind of sucks that I'm the one who has to do everything." I soon realize that sounds bad, and continue "Sometimes, I just want to lay on my back."

 He smirks "I would want the same." before his smirk turns into a smile "Do you love him? Gabe?"

 I bat my eyes a moment, thinking of the answer. An overwhelming feeling of joy overpowers me when I'm with him. I find it easier to open up to him. I've talked to him on occasion.

 Soon, I find that my hands are under my head and I have no desire to move them. I speak a complex "Maybe." before turning back to the television.

~

 With a groan, I roll out of bed. I guess I fell asleep on the couch and Dean brought me up.

 After I unplug my phone, I start towards the door, sliding my phone in my pocket.

 As I reach the bottom of the stairs, I find the kitchen is bursting with smells. Dean and Cas stand over a casserole dish, arguing about if there's too much cheese on the lasagna. Michael and Lucifer are watching a television show with beers in hand. Gabe sits at the table, back to me, sipping on a cup of coffee that probably has half a cup of sugar in it.

 Dean glances up to see me and I give a weak smile "Gabe?" Gabe looks up to him "Are you ready to see Sam?"

 Gabe sighs "You know I am." I get a look from Michael and Lucifer as I step out of the shadow.

 When Gabe returns to his coffee, I walk up behind him and run my fingers through his shaggy hair, that looks remarkably like mine, only a light honey instead of dark brown.

 Subconsciously, he leans into the touch, before he slowly rolls his head back to look at me. When I give a weak smile, he pulls me down to sit on his lap. Despite the discomfort from his hip brace, I sit there as he grips my body.

 I play with his hair, until he pulls his head away from my side, tears stream his face "When did you get home?" he asks.

 I hold my hands up to sign "Dean picked me up this morning."

 He nods, before sniffling and reaching up to touch my arm that has gone back to his silky hair. With a sad smile, he takes my hand out and holds it in front of me "Oh baby." he sighs, examining the scars "Why didn't I force you to take a nap with me?"

 I pull me hands away and sign "It wasn't your fault." he sighs and I frown "I'm the one who slit their wrists."

 "But, I could have been there to catch it." he insists, brushing my hair with his fingers. He chuckles "You have bedhead."

 I frown and jump off his lap "And you have bags under your eyes."