Chapter 16

SAM'S POV

 After a month of not having Gabe at school with me, the day he came back was amazing, until I got to Wyatt's class.

 The day started with Gabe watching me paint my lantern. After ceramics, we walked to English hall. Given Gabe's disability, we leave all of our classes five minutes early.

 We get to Jones class as the late bell rings, but before we go in, he gives me a soft kiss. After that, I help him to his seat and walk to Wyatt's class.

 When I take my seat, I notice the seat next to me is empty. Meg hasn't been absent before and she skipped on Monday. She hasn't answered her phone, either.

 I look around the room to find everyone works on their books. With a sigh, I stand and walk towards Wyatt "Hey Sam, what can I help you with?" he asks, handing me a notebook to write on.

 "I was wondering if you know anything about Meg? She hasn't texted me and I'm a little worried." I write, before handing him the notebook and watching his face go dark.

 He clears his throat "She went to live with her brother." he states, a hint of bitterness in his voice "That's what the teachers were told to say, but I've read her file."

 I take the notepad, before remembering something she told me the first time I met her. Her brother is dead.

 "Suicide" is all I write, before placing it in front of him and walking back to my desk, letting my thoughts wonder.

~

 At five minutes to bell, Wyatt dismisses me and I go to Jones class. Despite her lecture, she lets me help Gabe out of his desk and out of the room "What's wrong?" Gabe asks as we walk towards the library.

 I simply shake my head and open the door to the library for him. Before I know it, he kisses my softly "You know you can always talk to me about anything, right?" I nod and he started to walk in, but stops in his tracks "How about we go to the nurses office? I think my hips don't like me to be sitting down constantly."

 I shrug and we start towards the nurses office.

~

 When Dean pulls up to the house, he sighs "I'm going to go pick up Cas and that god-awful piece of shit car." as we climb out.

 Gabe sighs as he stands at the fence between our yards "Looks like Luci gave up halfway through cutting the bushes." he points to the shrub limbs and hedge clippers.

 I nod and he clears his throat "I think I'm going to take a nap in the hamic. Not feeling to well." He states "You coming?" he asks.

 I shake my head and sign "I gotta do some homework. See you later?"

 "Of course." he smiles, before giving a kiss and walking into his house.

 When I get into my house, I toss my bag on the couch and head to the kitchen, grabbing a knife. After climbing the stairs and putting my door back on it's hinges.

DEAN'S POV

 After towing Cas's car from the tattoo parlor to his house, we walk over to my house and look for the boys. When I find Sam's door locked, I walk down to Cas "Looks like the boys are at it again."

 "Wanna come over to my house?" he smiles "Luci and Michael shouldn't be home."

 I scoff "You are one horny son of a bitch, you know that?"

 He chuckles "If I was that horny, I would pull you up to your room by the hair and screw you until you begged for mercy." (It was in this moment that I realized this something I shouldn't tell my teacher... oh well, I'm sure you've read worse.)

 I blush and clear my throat "Come on, before the boys start screaming."

 As we walk towards Cas's house, he sighs "So, where's your mom?"

 "She's on a business trip." I state, hopping over the fence "She's a orthodontist. She's on a retreat."

 He opens the door for me "Well, I think that's cool." he smiles, before it drops "Gabe, what are you doing over here?"

 "Taking a nap." he yawns "I tried to get up the stairs but my hips were hurting and nobody was here to help."

 "Where's Sammy?" I ask, gripping the doorframe.

 Gabe shrugs "He had to do homework."

 I look to Cas for a split second, before screaming "Son of a bitch!" while hoping back over the fence and running into my house, followed shortly by Cas.

  Only when I get to his door, do I stop and bang on the door "Sammy?" I scream, before listen for any sound on the other side.

 The only sound I hear is the sound of Shinedown. A very certain song by Shinedown, too. "What ever happened to the young man's heart? Swallow by pain, as he slowly fell apart."

 I push Cas back along with myself and kick open the door as the anxiety spreads through me.

 He sits on the ground, hidden by the bed. The only thing I can see is his shoulders and the back of his head. Relief spreads through me and I grip the wall for support "Why didn't you answer the door?" I ask.

 When he doesn't answer, I move forward to cut off the music. But, I don't make it to CD player.

 The side of face comes into view and I freeze when I see his eye lids are drupping. Beside the farthest footpost, the sight of a red pool catches my eye "Sammy?" I ask, a lump forming in my throat.

 I take another step forward, before my brain finally catches up and I fling myself over to him, slapping his face to wake him up "Son of a bitch! Don't you die on me, Sammy!"

 Through the haze, I hear Cas calling the cops and Gabe screaming at Cas to tell him what the fuck is happening.

 I look from one wrist to another, examining the deep carvings, before gripping a blanket and wrapping it around the markings.

 After I've bound both arms, I pull him up and wrap my arms around him, trembling as the ambulance sirens get louder and the song continues with a screaming rage "And I'm staring down the barrel of a 45, and I'm swimming through the ashes of another life! There is no real reason to accept the way things have changed! Staring down the barrel of a 45, 45!"

 With the end of the song comes the humming of the CD player, telling it's owner that the CD is done playing. And the utter fear inside of my explodes in the only way in can.

 As the music ends, I scream out the only thing going through my mind "Sam!"