Chapter 13

SAM'S POV

 When we get to the hospital, the doctor tells us that his back is perfectly fine. However, his hips both dislocated. He was already under when we got here.

The metal hip socket is old technology. Instead, they're nailing in a ball and socket that  doesn't detach from each other. To do that, they have to saw off the balls of his thighs and the sockets of his hips. It's a risky operation for a diabetic. Or anyone for that matter. But it's ways worse, seeing as he is a diabetic.

 We sit in the hospital waiting room as I type on my computer "Sam?" Cas asks. I look up to find him smirking "Gabe was in so much pain before they put him out, but he just had to call you."

 After I give him a frown, he shakes his head "I can't believe he just got his hips popped back in place and he dived for his phone." A tear rolls down his cheek and he gives me a weak smile "Thank you." he wipes away face "He seems happy."

 I give a short smile and return to the typing.

 After three hours, and several alarming code calls, the doctor walks in with an apologetic look on his face "After so many hours in one surgery, we're forced to trade out." he begins "So far, we've done one hip and..." the him off his shirt catches my attention. Blood spray is on it. "We've had hit a hiche up."

 Cas, who sits on the edge of his seat "Just fucking tell us. Don't sugar coat it." he sniffles back a few tears.

 "Well..." the doctor sighs "We didn't intend for him to be under for this long..." he clears his throat "He almost woke up."

 "Fucking christ." Lucifer whispers and rubs his eyes with him fists.

 "There was as enough bump..." the doctor looks down at his hand, which he fiddles with "When a patient gets that close to waking up during surgery, his heart rate speeds up." He clears his throat "He coded."

 A crooked whine escapes Cas's lips and he looks up in agony. It takes me a second to realize what he meant. Anger and sorrow pools in my mind and I huff with emotion.

 "He's fine, but he'll have crash burns." the doctor states, before shaking his head "I'm sorry."

 He steps out of the room and the only sound is from Cas sniffling and Lucifer pressing his face to Michael's shoulder. Eventually, Cas walks out of the room, only to stop right outside, holding onto the railing. Dean follows him out.

DEAN'S POV

 "Cas, buddy, talk to me." I whisper while I rub his back.

 His sobs echos through the hospital hallway, but if get the feeling he doesn't give a shit. He wraps his arms around me "He flatlined!" he cries out "He's gonna die!"

 I shake my head "He'll be fine, Cas." I give a fake scuff and tighten my grip around him, breathing in his musky scent. It's the exact same as when I helped him out of the tree last year. God, I love that smell.

 Once I'm back to my senses, I pat his back and pull away "If he's anything like his scrawny ass brother, he'll be fine."

 Cas sighs "I'm not scrawny." he gives a weak smile and I can't help but chuckle and he licks his lips.

 God, he's so beautiful. His blue eyes and black ravens nest of hair. The suit he wears, given his boss came back a couple days ago. His lips are chapped, but damn, they look so damn good.

 Before I can process it, his lips smash into mine. I remain in shock, practically begging myself to do something. Anything.

 His lips leave mine and he stares at me, rejection in his eyes. Nothing comes out when I try to force words out. In an instance, he's gone; running down the hallway.

 "Cas!" I call after him "Cas!" I scream. He doesn't stop and he doesn't look back. He just runs.

~

 At nine, they declare that we all need to go home, seeing as Lucifer hasn't left since two days ago. He hasn't really slept. Seeing as Sam, Michael and I aren't family, we can't be in his room alone. Cas has yet to come back. So we went home.

 When we get home, I take a shower and Sam goes straight to his room. After my shower, I find Sam laying on his bed, listening to a rather depressing song.

 Considering he's crying, I leave him be. He doesn't like talking about what's bothering him.

 In my room, I sit at my desk, typing up an essay that's due tomorrow. However, something catches my eye from across the fence.

 Asscheeks. Cas has some dude pushed against the wall as he... I groan and stand to shut my curtains, until I see who the dude is. Asmodeus.

SAM'S POV

 As the music plays, tears stream down my face. When Dean walks past, I wish I could've have some privacy. So, I get up to put my door back on it's hinges.

 While I grab the pins, the song changes and I freeze. Shinedown plays through the speaker. The song I would always play when I hurt myself. I stay in one spot and think of all the times I was such a coward.

 How could I want to die so badly when Gabe was in the hospital? How could I be a whiney ass when Gabe lays in a hospital bed, doped out of his mind, and almost the newest member of the morgue?

 "You're such an idiot!" I hiss at myself in anger "How could you be such a coward?" The anger builds in me and all I want to do is cut. I wanna cut like there's no tomorrow.

 Huffing, I look for anything to distract myself with. Cards doesn't work. Turning the music up doesn't help.

 I just get so angry with myself "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" I scream into a pillow. My wrists itch so bad and all I want to do is scratch. "Coward!" I hiss.

 I stand up and pace the room as I itch my wrists. "You're worthless! You're useless! You're a coward?"

 My fists stings as I hit the wall. I look down at the red knuckles, before realize it actually hurt. I give the wall another punch. Then another. Then another.

 By the time Dean pulls me off the wall, I can't even feel the pain. "Sammy, what are you doing?" he asks, nervously and I push off of him.

 "Get off of me!" I scream at him and he flinches back. I huff and back to the other side of the room "I don't want to be here!" I squat next to the bed, before falling back on my but.

 Dean slowly walks forward and squats to my level "Hey now kid." he whispers, barely audible over the music "What would this world be without Sam Winchester?" I lean against him and sniffle "Nothing, Sam." he sighs "This world would be nothing without you." he wraps his arms around me "Everyone would be living in a big sandbox with an apocalypse happen or some shit like that."

 After we sit there for a long time, I sigh "I think I broke my hands..."