Chapter 55 - The Dynamic Duo

I left out of Jericho, and took a cab to the bank. Detroit looked the same...but noticeably changed. No more android parking stations. Androids that are walking around are not in uniform. Some are with humans, some are with other androids, and some are alone. None of them...are slaves.

I walked into the bank, and was immediately greeted. "Hi! Welcome to White Fish Bank! How can we help you today?"

Are they androids? Why are they so friendly? I nervously touched my LED, only to realize it was covered by my bangs. They don't know I'm an android.

"Hi. Sorry. I have a check to deposit," I said, walking up to them. I placed the bank card on the desk, on top of the check. The cashier took both, and smiled at me.

"This check is really large. I'll need some ID," she said calmly. I handed it over. She took it and looked it over.

"Charlotte Lance. Are you related to Christen Lance?"

I thought about the question. "No," I answered.

"Alright. Yeah, our manager has us under strict orders to not serve any traitors," she said, typing in my name calmly.

Oh, shit...

"Oh. Haha. Yeah...I know right. Android helpers...crazy," I said chuckling.

"She's been on the news so much. It would be impossible not to recognize her, yknow?"

"Yeah," I answered. "I know so well."

"I think I could spot an android just by talking to them. They're so mechanical, yknow?"

"Oh, absolutely. I heard some of them have laser eyes," I whispered.

"Really?" She asked excitedly.

"Yeah. The newest prototypes? They were insane," I explained.

"Did you work for Cyberlife?" She asked.

"No...but I had a friend of a friend who did," I explained.

"Wow. That's crazy," she said. She handed me back my card and my ID. "Anything else I can do for you?"

"Yeah, could you write me a check for $25,000? It's what...5 days till Christmas?" I asked.

"Yes," she said. She quickly took out a check, sketched down the details, and handed it over to me. "Whoever gets this as a gift will be very happy."

"Thank you," I said, turning around and leaving. The moment I walked outside, I took a deep breath. Yeah...things haven't really changed, have they?

If Connor is going to see Lieutenant's Anderson, I should go see the Deputy. I took a cab over to his house, and knocked on the door. I heard the heavy, yet oddly paced footsteps of the Deputy.

He quickly opened the door, and upon seeing me, immediately threw his arms around me in a hug. He's...too...heavy!

I fell backwards and collapsed, the Deputy landing on top. He was still in a hug.

"Nick...could you let go?"

"Never!" He announced. "Actually...it's really cold."

He stood up and helped me up, but hugged me again. He ran inside quickly and I followed. As soon as I was inside, he shut the door.

He began to cry. He slid down the door slowly, as his tears streamed.

"Oh my God, Nick." I knelt down to him. "What's wrong?"

"It's just...I asked Christen if you were really gone...and I can't understand her science mumbo jumbo, so I thought she meant 'she's really gone forever' but then it turned out she meant 'I'll bring her back' and now here you are in living color," Nick cried. He wiped his tears and took a deep breath. "It's just really overwhelming, okay?"

"I know, Nick."

"You're like the sister I never had."

"You have a sister, Nick."

"You're like the girlfriend I never had."

"You're gay, Nick."

"You're like the best friend I never had."

"Okay, Nick."