Chapter Seven: Black Blood & Foggy Windows

Chapter song: Six Feet Under - by The Weeknd

I sat awkwardly sandwiched in-between Scott and Stiles in a musty, mildew filled, bus on the way to some pointless cross country meet. I'm beginning to question ever joining the cross country team.

We had been on the bus for about 30 minutes when Scott broke the awkward silence and turned to me.

"Cali" he whispered

His usually sun-kissed skin was ghostly pale; black bags clung to his under-eyes making it appear as if he hadn't slept in years. I squinted my eyes and put one of my cold hands over his, "Scott... are you feeling okay?"

I can't believe I didn't notice his sickly appearance.

He nodded, "It's nothing just a little car sick."

I knew he was lying but chose not to press the issue. If he's already feeling bad me questioning him won't make him feel any better. I lied to myself and told myself he was just carsick.

"Do you remember the full moon when I told you that you were going to have to me honest with me?" Scott said after a moment of silence.

I nodded, my pulse increasing. Of course I remembered when he told me that; I was just praying he would forget. I had finally fit in and my feelings for Scott were growing by the day. The last thing I needed was for my dark past to cast a shadow over my potentially bright future here in Beacon Hills.

"So Cali I need for you to tell me everything."

My heart dropped and the word 'everything' echoed throughout my brain.

I bit my lip and looked at my hands, "Well I've been in foster care ever since i was an baby. Um so... um when I was like 12 I was staying with this cute couple who actually seemed to give a damn. For the first time in my life I had my own room. Which I thought was pretty cool at the time." I laughed but my face was still covered with a frown. "Everything was going well until one night, I lost control." My stomach was swimming at this point. I didn't want to keep going.

I could feel the shadow growing.

I took a deep breath and continued my story, my gaze still locked on my hands. "That night I attacked the man. I don't remember any of it but I guess at some point during my frenzy they called the police. The next morning I woke up in a jail cell, I was in solitary confinement I think. I went to trial after the family decided to press charges and due to the fact I couldn't remember anything I was sent to a metal institution where I spent a year serving my sentence. They never knew what was wrong with me or why I had these angry out bursts. After I got out, the homes got worse. It's not easy to find people that will take in a girl fresh out of a mental hospital. The worse the home was the worse the outburst once a month was. Every once in a while the home would press charges and I'd spend a few nights in juvie until I was passed to the next home. I never knew what the hell was wrong with me." I sniffled, keeping my eyes down, "I um guess it was the fact that I was turning. They told me this home, Lydia's home, was my last shot before I would be tried as an adult and sent to prison."

The silence after my confession was all consuming. I wasn't sure if I wanted Scott to say something. I began to pick at my cuticles as I waited for Scott to do something. I did what he wanted, I gave him the truth. The ball's in his court now.